What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing aileron bearings

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
Has anyone changed out the aileron bearings on an older -4? I need to change the bearings for the right aileron - I get a fair bit of lateral movement that should not be there and I can see the bearings slipping back and forth. I removed the aileron and the loose bearings will only go so far but will not push out.

Vans suggested pressing them out using sockets (with a C clamp I suppose). I read on the forum that the aileron bearings on a -6 are a "captured" type - would have to drill out the rivets of the bracket.

I don't want to start forcing these bearings out without some confirmation from someone who has already been there. This is a 1987 -4.

Pushed in...

Has anyone changed out the aileron bearings on an older -4? I need to change the bearings for the right aileron - I get a fair bit of lateral movement that should not be there and I can see the bearings slipping back and forth. I removed the aileron and the loose bearings will only go so far but will not push out.

Vans suggested pressing them out using sockets (with a C clamp I suppose). I read on the forum that the aileron bearings on a -6 are a "captured" type - would have to drill out the rivets of the bracket.

I don't want to start forcing these bearings out without some confirmation from someone who has already been there. This is a 1987 -4.

No... my old -6 plans show the aileron bearing fitting into a reamed 0.5625 hole. They are just pushed in and staked.

I believe the "captured bearing" you mentioned is the bearing in the aileron bellcrank in the wing, which is a different design from the later -7 and -9 bearings.

Keep pushing with the socket and big C-clamp...:)

gil A

ADDED

The bearing now called out (latest revision) is an Aurora COM-3 - it was a more expensive Heim call out (LS-3 ? - hard to read...)

Last edited:
Will carry on

Thanks for the quick reply Gil. I have purchased the bearings from Vans - I got both sizes, the COM 3 and larger COM 3-5. I may have to ream the holes a bit and use the larger size if the hole is too worn for the smaller original one. Pricey little beggars though at $12+ each.

Back