What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Change to air intake Ok???

PIN 37

Well Known Member
I have made a necessary mod to the Vans supplied air intake system to fit the Performance Airflow throttle body. I cut the flange off and fibreglassed on a sleeve to go on the intake of the PAF. I then cut a section out of the snorkle and simply glassed them back together blending the curves as best as possible. Can any body see any problems with doing this, or the way I have gone about it, or have a better idea. this is on an RV7 and I dont want to have anything protruding from the front of the cowl just from a looks point of view.
Airbox1.jpg
[/IMG]
Airbox2.jpg

Nice work

I can't tell from the picture, but do you have enough clearance to put a belt on and adjust the alternator?

Nice Job!

I did the same sort of mod to attach the snorkle to my AFP fuel injection. I cut two slots in the part that goes around the front of the FI controller to give just enough flex to allow a band clamp to hold the snorkle tightly onto the controller. I also cut a hole in the back of the snorkle and fashioned a spring loaded door for alternate air, in case the filter freezes up. I would suggest you also put a small hole at the lowest point in the snorkle to drain any rain water that may get past the filter while tied down outside.

Phil,
Send those photos to Don at Airflow Performance. He recently bench checked a similar snorkel.

Back