What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

chains on tailwheel?

flhtquick

I just started learning to fly my dads rv6. The tail wheel has springs and loose chains going to them. On our aeronca the chains are tight with no slack to the springs so is it normal for the rv to have loose chains? It wonders alot more than the areonca when taxi-ing and i mean alot more.

I just started learning to fly my dads rv6. The tail wheel has springs and loose chains going to them. On our aeronca the chains are tight with no slack to the springs so is it normal for the rv to have loose chains? It wonders alot more than the areonca when taxi-ing and i mean alot more.
My airplane has somewhat loose chains per the builders manual that I had. I like it that way. Many seem to prefer tighter steering so they use tighter chains or steering links. It is just a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Like Larry says - a matter of preference. I like mine really tight. It is easy to adjust them tighter, and see if you like it better - loosen them back up if not!

Paul

like i said i'm just learning so i might have some stupid sounding questions but they are important as we didn't build this vans but bought it and don't have the knowledge of a builder. Today was my first day to land it, and on concrete it wanted to occiliate from side to side in the rear like a slow extreme wabble shimmy at slow taxi. I think i will try taxi ing with the alittle tighter. Also but maybe for another thread?, how hard is it to add brakes to the right side?

Like everyone says, it's mostly personal preference.

I like mine snug. No slack, but not "stretched."

thanks for the help. Do you have to even use the chains or can they be replaced with a spring on either side like a decathalon?

thanks for the help. Do you have to even use the chains or can they be replaced with a spring on either side like a decathalon?
David, welcome to the world of experimental aviation. The really cool thing about it is that there are very few restrictions on what the owner may do. If a major change is to be made you may need to notify the FAA and have another test period. I don't think anything about the tailwheel steering would qualify as a major modification.

It is a really cool new world where you can decide what is best and then make the airplane that way. STCs, forget about them.

David, another very clean, very positive-feeling solution is a Rocket Link. It replaces the chains on both sides with a single link that connects on one side only. The link has an internal spring that provides some "give", if you're making a crosswind landing but otherwise feels very tight and responsive. I like mine.

snowflake do you have a pic?
taillink.jpg

From the website

Another vote for the Rocket Link.

After flying an RV-4 with chains and an RV-8 with the Rocket Link, I like the Rocket Link better.

like i said i'm just learning so i might have some stupid sounding questions but they are important as we didn't build this vans but bought it and don't have the knowledge of a builder. Today was my first day to land it, and on concrete it wanted to occiliate from side to side in the rear like a slow extreme wabble shimmy at slow taxi. I think i will try taxi ing with the alittle tighter. Also but maybe for another thread?, how hard is it to add brakes to the right side?

Is your TW spring loose? Maybe you need to replace the bolt that holds the spring to the weldment. Also, is it straight and in line with the fuselage? A bent tail spring will cause the oscillations you described.

I flew my plane with the locking pin in retracted position, meaning I didn't have any tailwheel steering and never noticed it. At higher speeds, the rudder should be able to overpower the TW.

As for the springs, I have mine loose, per the plans and have had no problems with it of any kind.

I have the JD Air Parts steering link, and can highly recommend it.

http://www.jdair.com/

They are in stock all the time (as opposed to the Silver Bullet one), and priced right...Darwin (one of the owners, VAF RV7Guy) is a repeat 7 builder too!

I love mine...

2-1-10-003w.jpg

Hmmmm, that bright red RV Rocket link looks very familiar. You can find it here: tailwheels and accessories

They are in stock and priced right. $125, complete and ready to install on any Van's type tailwheel. Something like 800+ have been installed so they are quite well proven.

They will work on Aviation Product's tailwheels to , but require a different control arm and those are on the way, but not available yet.

i'm thinking it's the tailwheel spring as looking from front to back it looks off to the the right about 1". I'm going to drop a plum bob from the spinner to the ground and from the spring bolt to the ground and pull a line between these two points to check for streight ness. How hard is replacement as we didn't build this rv?

Back