What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CFI with RV-6 in San Diego

You do understand that what you are asking is illegal, unless the cfi does it all for free? And that anyone can read this forum?

Well, the statement that what is being asked for (transition training) is illegal is rather broad and as far as I know, incorrect. I know that I went through a completely legal transition training in the San Diego area with Reuven Silberman in his RV7a and it was very professional, very complete and very legal. He went to the trouble of jumping through all the necessary hoops with FAA. I don't know whether he still does it or not, but I think when someone asks for help or direction to do something that enhances safety and was perfectly legal, maybe you could concentrate on educating as to why you think it's illegal. What makes his request illegal and what would make it legal? You started to clarify when you said he can't charge, which negates your blanket statement that it's illegal, but you also failed to mention the circumstances under which he can charge. For example, if he is cleared by FAA to give transition training. There are probably others.

apologies

I must have mis-read the original post (now edited), I thought he just wanted to go flying. Yes, if he wants and needs type specific transition training, and the airplane owner holds a waiver ("LODA"), then it is allowed for compensation or hire.

Bob

Edit Added : Okay, I did not mis-read the initial post. Keep reading.

Last edited:
Flying an RV6 in San Diego

I own an RV6, based in Denver, CO. I already have my tailwheel endorsement and have 43 hours flying the RV-6. Most of the time I have flown it in Colorado, but flew some during initial training in Florida where the airplane was located, and then the flight to Denver when I transported the plane. I am currently taking lessons from a CFI in my plane in Denver so I can continue to improve my skills.

In October I am traveling to San Diego on unrelated business via commercial airline. However, I have some extra time and seek to practice flying an RV6 there so I can become familiar with the airspace, the RV-6 performance characteristics at sea level, and potentially do some over water flying.

I would like to find a pilot in San Diego who will take me up in their plane in a lawful manner. If they are a CFI with the applicable FAA permission, I will pay for services. Alternately, if someone wants to be friendly and take me up, that would be great as well.

Any referrals are appreciated.

Thank you
Bryan

As I explained to Bryan via PM, the only lawful manner that this can be accomplished in an EAB airplane is for free, or, at best, if there is a trip both pilots want to do, a "share the operating expenses" basis. Current LODAs are for initial transition training only, and exclude activities that can be accomplished in a normally certified aircraft. You cannot pay a cfi for this (advanced, not transition) training if he provides the EAB airplane.

Last edited:
Back