What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CFI for BFR in my RV-6, Puget Sound Area?

Mountain Time

Well, its that time again - a BFR is coming due. The FBO at Bremerton has decided it doesn't want its instructors working in experimental aircraft, so no BFR with any of them (although they had no issues doing my IFR training in the -6 back in ~2020 . . . maybe something changed), and thus I'm looking for a CFI in the general Seattle/Puget Sound area that can provide this service. Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks -

John

Terry Burch at Arlington was the CFI who did my RV transition training as well as aerobatic instruction and at least one BFR. However, I moved away from the area a few years ago, so I'm not 100% sure that he's still instructing. Does anyone else know? If he is, then he has my recommendation.

I know a couple of Boeing engineers who occasionally instruct for fun and who are into experimentals. If you have trouble finding a CFI, let me know and I'll get you in touch with them.

If you call up the Seattle-area flight schools (Regal, Rainier, Snohomish...) I would bet that at least one of them will have a CFI who would be ok to do a BFR on an experimental.

(And... I don't mean to go too off-topic, but... I always saw my BFR as an opportunity to stay current on something other than an RV, for the occasional time when you want to rent a four-seater. A BFR in a 172 is a nice way to remind yourself how much easier and more fun it is to fly an RV...)

Terry Burch at Arlington was the CFI who did my RV transition training as well as aerobatic instruction and at least one BFR. However, I moved away from the area a few years ago, so I'm not 100% sure that he's still instructing. Does anyone else know? If he is, then he has my recommendation.

I know a couple of Boeing engineers who occasionally instruct for fun and who are into experimentals. If you have trouble finding a CFI, let me know and I'll get you in touch with them.

If you call up the Seattle-area flight schools (Regal, Rainier, Snohomish...) I would bet that at least one of them will have a CFI who would be ok to do a BFR on an experimental.

(And... I don't mean to go too off-topic, but... I always saw my BFR as an opportunity to stay current on something other than an RV, for the occasional time when you want to rent a four-seater. A BFR in a 172 is a nice way to remind yourself how much easier and more fun it is to fly an RV...)
Thanks Bernardo, I did get a referral to Terry from another source and have an email out to him. And your thought on getting it done in a 172 or similar is not bad, although I hate to pay to rent one when I've got a nice flying RV to use :) In fact, that's what I did at the FBO in Bremerton back in about 2019 when I was finishing the G3XT/GTN panel update in the RV and my currency had lapsed. It was a good reminder of how nice the RVs fly and how truck-like the 172 is in comparison (no offense, the 172 is great airplane and in bumpy IMC I'd probably prefer to be in the 172!)

John

Back