What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Central Locking in your RV-10

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
After a lot of thinking about this - I have done it.
We had our door locks in the the bottom center of the doors. Then Vans came with an SB and we had to move the lock to make way for the latches.

First I have moved it to the handle mechanism, but after jamming it once, decided it was no good. With the gear assembly you really transfer a lot of force onto the lock.

So hopefully the final version is this: CENTRAL LOCKING :D
I have used an automotive kit and made up the brackets to suit. Final installation was quite easy.

So I think we might have the first RV with central locking.
Now I just have to figure out how to make it go "tweet" when I press the buttons on the remote :)
RVB_Lock.jpg

??????????

I'm missing something, I guess..
Are you replacing the Van's door locks with these electric ones?

Kindly educate..:)

Best,

Pierre,
You know living in Africa you have to lock up as far as you go.
This is to "securely lock" the AC when leaving it outside at a game ranch or somewhere remote. We have a problem in that a lot of smaller airfields are close to low cost housing developments and this is just some peace of mind. If someone really wants to get in - he will.

You will close the doors and latch as usual, ( we have used the standard setup) but then remote control will activate the "servos" and push up the 10mm stainless steel pins. The pins push up through the door post into the door bottom. The insert in the picture shows the pin in the up or locked position.

I have also thought about battery run down and in the luggage compartment is a small key switch that you can use to isolate the power source after you have locked and then you lock the baggage compartment. My calculations shows that it will run down your battery in two weeks. It is therefore not something that you will use at your home hangar.

Here in South Africa one can buy the kits at most auto accessory outlets.

So, as I understand you, this is for parking only, not an inflight safety latch???

That makes me feel a lot better....

Last edited:
Thanks, Jan...

It would seem to me that the units would not require battery power to remain locked. Are there no limit/reversing switches that disconnect the current once the pins extend?

Thanks,

Mike I guess one could also use it in flight, but what about an emergency and it is is still activated?

Pierre you are correct. That is why I thought to use it like this - Close and latch doors - lock with remote and go away. If you plan to leave the AC there for say 10 days or longer, lock it using the remote. Dive into the baggage compartment and disconnect the power to the unit, using the key switch in order to make sure you do not run down the battery.

When you return, dive into the baggage compartment again and switch on the unit's power and use the remote to unlock the doors.

Mike I guess one could also use it in flight, but what about an emergency and it is is still activated?

That was my concern........from your original post, it sounded like you were going to use this for inflight safety latch, not a good idea IMHO.

Thus my comment about feeling better about it.

Back