What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section Spar Spacers?

RV7AJeremy

Well Known Member
I am about to rivet the Fuse together. The directions talk about using a Spar spacer block. I have read that is a carry-over from the days before the pre-punched kits. Is this block really necessary? Anyone just used the pre punched holes and did it work out? I am getting ready to move in the next few months and my wings are already crated up so I can't just go check them.

Thanks for the help.

Spar block

I ripped a piece of maple to the exact width and used them.
More importantly, buy yourself some hardware store
bolts for lining up the bolt holes. You will hate life if these
Are not perfectly lined up when putting on the wings.

I just did this last weekend. I cut down some scrap 2X4 on the band saw to 1 7/16" and used Grade 8 7/16" X4 1/2" long bolts from Ace hardware for the temp fit together. Why chance it? They're easy to do and worked out great!

Last edited:
I took a pipe cutter to some spare steel conduit laying around the shop and had spacers in a few minutes. Used a file and grinder on the sharp edges to dull them down and made sure each one was the exact dimension with some calipers.

IMG_8813-M.jpg

I did similar to Bruce but I used thick walled PVC tubing cut on a miter saw. It seems to be working great! :D

Spacers

I did this.

IMG_2200.jpg

The goal is to attach legs to the aluminum spacers to support the fuse without the gear.

Made them Jeremy. The cheapest and fastest way. You will find the spacers very convenient while moving to the airport. They provide extra support for flatbed tiedown.

Back