What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

center section nutplates... missed...

goldbar

In the hopes someone is familiar, perhaps there is a plan b to avoid drilling 20 rivets out..
first mistake today, attaching f-704c-l to f-704 forward center section (rv-7), twenty rivets total, and missed, somehow, the nut plates that receive the bolts that go thru f-704D-L, f-704B, f-704G, wing spar, f-704a, and F-704C-L (where the nutplates are, or should be attached). I know the professional finish would be to drill out those twenty rivets, but that risks a fair bit of damage, are these nutplates accessible during wing installation so that with nimble fingers I could just use nuts ?
Seems an easy painless (except during wing installation) fix ?

I am not sure I remember which nutplates you are talking about, but why not put them in with blind nutplate rivets?

I am not sure I remember which nutplates you are talking about, but why not put them in with blind nutplate rivets?

That will work, IF the rivet heads do not need to be countersunk. I?m thinking we are talking about the K1000-4 nutplaes that go on the forward side of the forward center section and an receive the two AN4-13A bolts (That?s the size used on the -9, I?m not sure about the -7.)

There may be enough room for the spar stub to slide in past a protruding rivet tail. (The tail will extend into the spar cavity.) If that is the case, you should be OK. All those rivets do is keep the platenuts from spinning.

excellent.

Thank you for your input, that was my first query here and it worked like a charm. Take a break, think things over, have some lunch, read replies from smart builders, and off I go.
Thank you gentlemen.

The nutplates for the an4-13a are on the main spar not the center section dwg11.

William Bennett
RV8 flying
RV7 fuselage

woops.

Indeed, wish I would have had your insight before installing my, "oh no, how to fix this mistake that is really not a mistake after all, mistake"

"for sale, four used k100-4 nutplates"

Me too

William is correct. I almost did the same thing. The drawing sure made it look like the nutplates are on the bulkhead in the fuselage, rather where it really is...the wing spar.

Back