What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section F-704A "Empty" Holes

Dave C

My center section F-704A and F have empty holes on each out-board side (about 3-4); all the other holes have #5 (or 6) rivets in them installed by the factory.

I asked Van's about this and they said they are to be drilled out for the landing gear mounts... but I'm building a tail dragger (no gear at the center section). When I pointed this out to Van's they said just use shorter bolts... ?

What have you other taildraggers been doing here?

Thanks
Dave C
RV 7

Exactly like Van's says. Put bolts in there. You'll need slightly shorter bolts than what's called out for the "A" models because you won't have the weldments in there.

Dave,

Van's does this because they have no idea what you are building until you order the fuselage kit. Thus all wings and center sections are the same be they for an "A" or non-"A" RV.

Look for a bag

If you order an -8, there's a bag that has the bolts for these holes. I think the description of the bag is something like "converts -8A to -8". It seems like there would be a similar bag for the -7.

Cheers,
Rusty

Ahh! I found the Detail

Thanks for all the responses - they inspired me to look through the plans again. On sheet 34 "Center Cabin Cover", there is a detail that calls out AN4-12A bolts that go in these holes. I'm not sure why you need such large bolts here when there is no landing gear.. but...

When all else fails - look at the plans! :)

Dave C
RV 7

Creative ideas on installing these AN4-12A on QB

DWG 34 clearly shows these AN4-12A's going into the forward spar. There are two of these that install inboard of the F-7114 fuselage gussets at the bottom of the F-704 spar. With the exception of growing 12 inch fingers by tomorrow morning does anyone have a creative suggestion on how to place the washer and thread the nut on those two bolts. It's a QB wing so I'm consternated...
:confused:

I taped 2 tongue depressors together then put double sided tape on one end to hold the hardware. Works ok.

Jekyll

Back