What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Section/ F-704

Brantel

Well Known Member
F-704 and center section riveting:

Is there any benefits to having the close tolerance bolts in the F-704 center section when drilling and riveting the entire center section together?

After completing the F-704 spar center section, I can see that the close tolerance bolts will be a pain to get to go in due to after riveting the side gussets on, they won't fit without some sanding of the side gusset opening. (I had the close tolerance bolts in when drilling the side gussets to the spar but did not have them in when riveting)

The instructions say to drill the spacer bolt holes out to accept a 1/4" bolt. I did this but when bolted all together, the front half does not perfectly align with the back half unless I loosen these spacer bolts slightly. My guess is that the 1/4" drill walked slightly in the pilot hole creating a slightly angled hole.

My fear is that I will rivet this all into the center section and then won't be able to get the bolts in due to this side to side misalignment of the two halves.

Will the bottom skin and all the prepunched holes guarantee alignment or should I sand the gussets, and insert the bolts temporarily until the center section is drilled and riveted?

Edit:
I need to explain it better. The F-704 is completely assembled and I had no problems with this part (except that short rivet holding those shear bars in).

The above questions all revolve around these spacer bolts and the holes and drilling and riveting this into the cockpit floor/entire center section:

2002845899741549647_rs.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not an engineer and don't have the expertise that a lot of others on this forum obviously have, but I don't think you're heading for a problem. Did you have your spacer blocks in to simulate the wing spars? Have you tried clecoing the side skins.

The reality is the close tolerance bolts are going to go in tough anyway; a little rubber mallet does a lot of convincing here.

I operated under the theory to leave the c.t. bolts in the bag until the wings go on for the final time.

Same thought here as Bob... I don't think you'll find the Phillipines QB assemblers with a set of CT bolts on their work bench either. As to the mis-drilled holes, get everything fitted and clecoed together when assembling the rest of the skins and then fit the spacers and bolts in the holes you're concerned about. Snug 'em up and start final drilling the skins. You'll be okay.

Last edited:
Back