What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center section drill for bushing ???

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Drawing 16 calls out for the predrilled holes in the front and aft center sections to be drilled out to 5/8" for a bushing. However, when I started to drill I noticed that if the hole is any larger than 9/16" it will cut into the center section side supports. The plans do note that the flange of the bushing will need to be trimmed (or inserted from the inside out) but neither of these options will allow the bushing through this hole so long as the edge of the side support is not cut out as well. The plans say nothing about "notching" out the side support itself. What am I missing?

(I am drilling with a unibit so there is no way I enlarged it off set from the original. Moreover, I measured the other side that I have not drilled yet and drilling that side to 5/8" would lead to the same result.) See picture for a visual...

Thanks for any help.

Normal

What you're seeing is normal. Expand the hole to full size.

I do believe the drawings (or manual, I forget) said something about notching out the snap bushing. Read up and see what you find...

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

dan said:
What you're seeing is normal. Expand the hole to full size.

I do believe the drawings (or manual, I forget) said something about notching out the snap bushing. Read up and see what you find...

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Thanks Dan. I assume you mean expand only the center section hole to full size and then allow the side support to overhang the hole (leaving only a partial circle once the parts are riveted together)?

As I mentioned above, I did see the note on the drawings to notch the bushing (or insert it backwards), but I assumed that meant just the flange of the bushing to allow it to sit flush on the center section and against the side post. It seems odd that one would leave only a partial circle for the bushing to fit in.

If you've already riveted the two pieces together (or you have a QB), then you don't have much choice in the matter. I'd just enlarge the hole -- and you'll get the crescent shaped notch in the reinforcement piece. I don't see that as being an issue.

)_( Dan

1. Drill the hole to full size.
2. Trace the overlap on the doubler.
3. Notch the doubler so it is 5/8" dia also.
4. Repeat 4x
Steve

E-mail from Vans

I got the following reply from Ken Scott

Ken Scott wrote:

Dan: yes, you can trim the bulkhead...or the snap bushing.

Forwarded by: "Support" <support>
Forwarded to: kens
Date forwarded: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 06:57:01 -0800
Date sent: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:00:42 -0600
To: [email protected]

Just started drilling the F904C-L&R center sections to the F904 fwd bulkhead and noticed they overlap the 5/8" enlarged holes for snap bushings in the bulkhead. Same thing is on the aft F904 bulkhead. They overlap at most b
by .1".

Is it ok to trim this slight amount off of the F904C-L&R and F904D-L&R?

Thanks for the confirmation from Van's, Dan. I just did mine. A standard 9/16" diamenter drum sander attachment for a dremel tool is almost perfect for taking off the right profile. Just a brief touch to the side post gets rid of what you don't need, then debur the edges and you're done. Now the bushings fit in without being trimed at all (if inserted from the inside) meaning none of your electrical wires will rub on any aluminum.

Back