What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Fuselage corner rib Attach Straps

flybill7

Well Known Member
OK, the instructions call for fashioning four little "attach straps" that fit on the inside of the corner ribs of the center fuselage bottom skin. No problem. But what are they for? They look to me like just reinforcing plates. The name "attach straps" is curious.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

The ribs themselves, Bill, are cut and trimmed at both ends, as I recall. They don't extend to the flange of the respective bulkhead at all. So the attach strips are fabricated and attached to the web of the rib at each end and they are what is riveted the bulkhead flange.

It is very, very poorly represented on the DWG, as I recall. And you'll have to do some trimming to make it all fit.

Bob is right, The drawings for this are poor and the instructions are kinda weak too. As mentioned the ribs do not overlap the bulkhead flanges. They should be trimmed so they butt up against the edge of the flange allowing them to lay flat on the skin. The attach strips are just that, they attach the corner rib flange to the bulkheads. Hope this helps.

dave, is that in the drawings somewhere, or just a neat mod? (looks cool!) I never saw it, so I didn't do that flange thing..

I don't remember if it was in the plans or not. I happened to see it on Matthew's site, so I copied it. I wouldn't worry about it either way. I'm sure one rivet will make no difference whatsoever.

Davepar said:
I don't remember if it was in the plans or not. I happened to see it on Matthew's site, so I copied it. I wouldn't worry about it either way. I'm sure one rivet will make no difference whatsoever.
Yes, I vaguely remember looking on your site after the fact and saying "hey, that's cool, why didn't I do it that way."

OK, I'm starting to get the picture. Apparently Van's instructions leave a bit to desired. After drilling those corner ribs in place and (following the directions) fitting the straps it occured to me also to wonder what the **** these things were for. So now I understand! Note to self: Always check website first before doing anything!

Bill Rambo
RV-7a

Back