What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Fuse Baggage floor corner rib trim?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
HI Guys,

Busy with the center fuse baggage floor and you get 2 corner ribs that is not pre-punched. From the part number looks like parts from a RV6. Aren't we spoiled...

Anycase the plans are not very clear on this, tried Dan's site but I still don't get it. Currently the rib sits on top of the F705. How much do I trim, and do I trim both sides. Does it have to clear F705 completely, does it sit next to it flush and the spacer goes on top of both F705 and the corner rib? What about the aft end?

For Reference:
center_fuse.gif

Dan's excellent site shows the following: (Thanx Dan)
It was trivial to drill everything, with the exception of the corner ribs. Not that it was hard, but they weren't pre-drilled. So I had to trim both ends of each corner rib (the plans were extremely vague in this regard), position and clamp 'em, and drill. I also drilled the "attach strips" that appear to transfer some load on the fore/aft ends. The strips needed minor modification to fit perfectly.
20021012_drilling_corner_ribs.jpg

Anybody remember what they did here?

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards
Rudi

Rudi this is one of those places where the part cannot be pre-drilled because it is joining two skins, exact shape determined by the builder.

Just fit the rib to the skins, trim the ends as required to fit between the bulkheads and lay flat on the bottom skin. Then fab the plates to strap the assy together.

Larry

Trim it

The view C-C is hard to make out. However if you look closely you can see that the rib butts up against the bulkhead flange and lays flat on the floor. Adding to the confusion is the joggle the rib comes with on one end suggesting it would lay on top of the bulkhead flange. In my case the joggle still didn't allow the rib to lay flat on the floor. So I trimmed it so it matches view C-C. The attach strips join the ribs to the bulkheads. It's a little hard to envision how the parts will go together when your working on just the center section alone. When you assemble the sections together it will be much easier to see what is going on in that corner area.

I think it's the joggle stamped into the piece that ends up confusing builders. You'll have to cut it all away (both ends) in order to get the strap to fit inside and sit flush on the web of the corner rib. This becomes a little easier to visualize once you make those straps.

When I was at this point, I took a look at a friends RV-7 quickbuild. These ribs were not done per the plans on his quickbuild. The joggle in the corner ribs were left in place, and the straps were still added, which was useless with the joggles. I too, trimmed the joggle away, per the plans.

I've got a couple of pictures on my fuselage page, not sure if they will help or not though:

http://jmjula.home.comcast.net/fuselage.htm

Rudi--
I just cut off the joggle on my corner ribs about a month ago after scratching my head a few times and looking at other builders' sites. The day after I did that, I saw Mike Schipper's website and saw that he left the joggle on, even though he cut the rest of the rib end away enough to make it flush with the 705 bulkhead. By doing so he was able to connect it directly to the bulkhead side AND indirectly using the strap to the bulkhead bottom. Certainly a stronger connection, though it doesn't appear that matters much in this location given the tiny straps Van's has us fabricate. In any case, if you haven't cut it off yet, I'd leave it on. It sounds like the quickbuilds do it that way.
Good luck.

I also left the F623 forward side joggles in place. Just trim enough from the fwd edge of the joggle, floor and opposite flange to allow the F623 to nest in the inside corner of the bulkhead. You'll remove considerably more mat'l from the aft end of the F623 but again its a best-fit effort.

Steve

I did it MY way! (ref the old song)

I reshaped the joggles on the leading end of the rib so it fit into the 705 bulkhead. Also shaped the rear splice plate a little, so it fit better.

Here are links directly to the the pictures that show it.

Front Joggle

Rear Splice Plate

Good Luck with yours.

BTW, You are probably close to doing the conical bend in the side skin. The leading edge of that conical bend is sharp. Make sure to deburr the strain relief hole BEFORE BENDING (duh) and make the bend as "soft" as you can.

I bent mine (after forgetting to deburr) nice and tight. Beautiful..., until I noticed the 1/8" long cracks the next day. Fortunately, the emergency stop drills have worked and are likely to be covered with the busy area associated with step installation.

Back