What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Console From Aircraft Extras (PICS)

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I just received my center console from aircraft extras today. I have been looking all over the forums and others build logs for a write up/pictures of the construction of these and was never able to find one. I'm not the best at doing write ups however I took plenty of pictures that could possibly help the next person out. Overall I am very Pleased with the quality of the entire kit, Rich is also a fantastic person to deal with and will help you out with just about anything.

Hope this helps

http://www.n87dx.com/N87DX/Fuselage/Entries/2011/3/28_Center_Console.html

-david

That looks really nice.
How long does it take to remove when you need to dive under the panel to do misc. service on the master cyls or wiring?

You made a nice choice on the center console. I love mine! I like to be able to rest my arm on the console and still jockey the throttle. Can't do that with the push-pull controls on the panel.

The console is mounted to the seat pan and flap motor housing using the same nutplates already installed. There are about ten screws holding the console in position - just takes a couple of extra minutes to get the console moved out of the way. Since the throttle/prop/mixture controls are in the console, it's difficult to completely remove the console - instead I just move it sideways when I need to crawl under the panel.

A different approach

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

I developed my own center console that occupies the area forward of the seat. The first photo was taken during a lot of messy panel mod work but it shows the console fairly well. The second doesn't show as much of the console but it does show the current environment. Console width is a problem and during construction I had to get creative and rotate the fuel valves and re-index the handles to achieve a satisfactory width. The console contains the 2 fuel valves, 4 fuel filters, primer pushbutton switch, aux fuel pump toggle switch, primer solenoid valve, aux pump, fwd to aft routing path for wiring, manual pitch trim knob and cable, power outlet for Garmin 695. I have been flying with this for 7 years and it is perfect for me.

When I work under the panel I do have to contort myself for access but it is not too bad.

Bob Axsom

I like the aircraft extras center console. I was able to mount my Andair fuel selector up on the top and it allowed me to rotate the selector to have the LH. tank indicator to the left side as opposed to the way it is set up from Andair. I am also using the mixture lever on the quadrent for my cowl flap lever since my engine wont need mixture. I think it shold be easy to take the quadrent out and leave the cables attached to remove the console. Also the Andair is mounted with the extension and will be easy to take the allens that hold it in place

I have been looking closely at the Console from Aircraft Extras and my only concern was if it took up some space for seating. When you sit down does it make you feel squished on both sides (between the fuselage wall and console)? I really do like the idea of being able to rest my right arm and I am planning on using a throttle quadrant instead anyways, so it seems like a great solution.... Plus if I happen to take up a passenger who might be a bit wider, I dont want them to not fit in the seat!

I just received my center console from aircraft extras today. ---------- I'm not the best at doing write ups however I took plenty of pictures that could possibly help the next person out.

-david

I have to disagree with you, you did a great write up.

Great photos also, thanks :D

Andrew,

I have only been able to test fit the console and sit on a blanket instead of a cushion however I find it comfortable. I am 6' right at 200 lbs and I was not crammed in or pressed up against either wall. Now you leg will naturally rest on the console which I personally like. I am also planning on putting in the aviator side panels so I'm sure that will take another inch or so away. As far as the arm rest goes I found it will be a one person deal. There's no way both you and your passengers arm will fit on it. The console itself is no wider than the flap brace at 3" I believe so the only thing your loose g in seat width is the "overhang" room on the inside. Hope this helps

-david

console

I was able to construct an arm-rest console between the seats that has room
for charts, books etc. it is a bit over 2 " wide, 11" long and 10" deep with a hinged lid that is padded. My wife likes to stash her Lightspeed Mach 1 headset case in there so it is out of sight. It is short enough to not encumber the aileron trim or the fuel selector, but long enough to let me rest my arm on it with my hand on the throttle. it also helps to keep the cushions in place and the seat belts separated.:eek::)

Back