What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Console Control Position?

jsharkey

Well Known Member
For those of you that used the RV6 vertical "center console" channel - where did you place the throttle, mixture and carb heat controls relative to each other?

Is one configuration more convenient to fly than another?

I have a fixed pitch prop and plan to have the throttle, mixture and carb heat at the top of the channel with electric trim, electric flap and emergency air controls below them in that order.

I notice that lots of layouts have the controls arranged horizontally across the lower edge of the panel.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 Finishing Up

If it's not too late, I'd forget the channel. You can buy a nice pre-made piece to place them horizontally in the middle.

You'll find that you'll want the leg room, and space to reposition the knees. I don't have the vertical in my 6A, and the new designs have done away with it.

L.Adamson

For Better or Worse?

Here is what I ended up doing - from the top:

Carb Heat
Throttle
Mixture
Elevator Trim
Flap
Emergency Carb Air

console2to3.jpg

consolejy3.jpg

Jim Sharkey

More Lateral Leg Room

This is in a 6A with the "7" interior. That is: the battery moved to the firewall and the battery box out of the way. The Power Quadrant is, from left to right, Alternate air (carb heat), Throttle, Mixture, Cabin Heat.

I like that there is less obstruction to my legs while flying. It also really pays off to have max room under there when the time arises to crawl under the panel and work on something. It doesn't happen frequently but once a year is enough to warrant thinking about access to the underside of the panel.

I do not like the way the light colored panel reflects off the canopy. That feature I would change to a darker color and "flat" finish.:)

And, in the tradition of wildly opposing view amongst RV builders, I prefer the center column. It doesn't interfere with my leg room and I prefer to keep my hand resting on the throttle and don't want controls left or right interfering. Just my preference. Here's a photo of my setup:

1151.jpg

From top: throttle, prop, mixture, pitch trim, tank selector. The bowden on the left of the throttle is alternate air, on the right is FI fuel purge. Despite what I said about left/right controls, these are normally in and don't interfere with the throttle.

Battery Box

It appears as though everyone that has posted pictures has moved the battery to the firewall or elsewhere. I do not see any "in the cockpit" battery boxes.

It appears as though everyone that has posted pictures has moved the battery to the firewall or elsewhere. I do not see any "in the cockpit" battery boxes.

A 680 on the firewall like the seven is the way to go. Van's has the kit to do this. It just works better..............

I had already built the Van's supplied battery box (by the way, anyone want to buy a completed battery box?) when I decided to go with the glass panel and dual batteries. Also, the FI electric pump kit that comes with the FWF presumes RV-7/9 structure in the center area between the fuel selector and firewall. So I just removed the battery box and filled in with foam (to be covered with carpet later).

Back