What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center console and Andair valve

SteveHRV7

I plan to install the center console from Aircraft Extras and an Andair fuel valve in my fuel injected RV7a. Has anyone installed their console? - and if so, which Andair fuel valve and extension did you use? I believe that a typical FI system requires a return line for fuel. Does this dictate which valve to use?

Also - if anyone knows - does the new Andair Boost Pump use the standard Andair valve?
Thanks!

I believe that a typical FI system requires a return line for fuel. Does this dictate which valve to use?

Also - if anyone knows - does the new Andair Boost Pump use the standard Andair valve?

FI systems don't necessarily require a return line, in fact very few do. In some cases there are other ways to handle it other than a more expensive duplex fuel selector.

My Andair pump kit purchased at AirVenture came with their FS20-7 valve.

fuel selector valve for IO-360

Brad, hi, please could you explain more about the need for fuel return lines and selector valve for use with an IO engine? I'm about to install valve and fwd covers and plan to use Van's IO-360 engine. Question, will I need a valve selector that switches both the fuel line and return lines? I thought IO's needed return lines and consequently a valve that can switch them, if not, how come? What other options are there for the return lines? I've already installed return lines in the tanks in preparation. I'm about to order Van's high pressure IO fuel pump. Do I need a different selector than the brass one from Vans? thanks

No Return Fuel on IO 360

Airplane fuel injection does not use a return line. If you are adapting an automotive system you may need a return line. Airplane FI as used on an IO 360 is a very different animal than what we are used to in cars. Constant flow, lower pressure, nothing electric except for the boost pump which essentially is a backup/booster for the mechanical pump on the engine.

So no, you do not need a different selector than the one from Van's.

Can't help you much on the new pump, I have the old style; but the boost pump is upstream of the selector valve, so it probably does not matter which selector valve you use.

Hans

If I recall, the one FI system (ECI I think) requires a return line. If you install a purge valve, it too will recquire a return line. I believe however, that these don't have to go through a duplex valve, but can simply just go back to one tank or the other.

Return lines are not absolutely required for an IO-360 but may be desireable, and a little extra work and cost.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

valve

I have the console and purchased the RV package direct from Andair with the extension and two universal joints. It worked out perfectly, I also have Precision Eagle EMS fuel injection and no return line.

Jay Erickson, RV-7A finishing

AFP basics

Airflow Performance is one of the more common injection systems and utilizes a purge valve and associated fuel return line. The purge valve is mounted on the distribution spider on top of the engine. The purge valve is used to flush fuel vapor out of the system (up to the point of the distribution spider anyway), prior to starting the engine, especially for hot starts. It is also used to shut down the engine, in lieu of using the mixture knob. The purge valve requires a fuel return line that can either be plumbed directly to one of the tanks, or it can tee into one of the fuel supply lines running from a tank to the tank selector valve. For the latter case, when you are purging prior to a hot start, you would want to have the tank selector valve set to the opposite side from where the purge line tees in; otherwise, you would just be circulating hot fuel and vapor. So, if the purge line tees into the fuel line from the right tank, you would set the fuel tank selector valve for the left tank, at least for purging purposes.

erich

Return

TCM constant flow FI requires a return from the engine fuel pump. Very different pump system from Bendix style RSA FI. RSA is mo pilot friendly I think, just trickier to hot start cause you can't flood start as easily.

Forum abuse...

*MODERATED*

tucson9a, I find it very frustrating that you have posted this advertisment in no less than 8 different threads...
Just one post in the classifieds section would have been plenty of exposure for anyone interested in purchasing your valve.

Moderators, can you please remove the 7 unnecessary posts.

Cheers,
James.

Last edited by a moderator:
2zxvz4g.jpg

This is from someone on this site.

Precision Airmotive FI

Data point: I have Precision Airmotive FI on my Lyco IO-360, vertical induction. No return line.

Running fabulously. It did take me a while to figure out a good hot start technique. For cold starts, I use the boost pump before cranking. For hot starts, no boost. I just slide the mixture slowly in as I'm cranking, and it fires right up.

I am trying to resurrect this because the OP's question was never answered and Its exactly what I need to know. I am about to order my console and fuel valve with extension but I need to know what Length of Extension is needed as well as how many U Joints are needed To make the console from Aircraft Extras work. I have been talking to Rich at Aircraft extras however this is one thing that hasnt been answered.

Thanks alot
-david

I have this setup

I have this setup in my plane. Can't remember the length of the extension, but you'll have to cut it to fit anyway. I think I got the 12 inch one. One U joint works fine, put at the top of the extension rod, and then the long part goes to the valve. I have the duplex valve with the airflow performance injection. Working great so far after 170 hrs or so.

Back