What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cell-Phone Power Switch Review

mculver

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone ?

There have been a lot of questions about the GSM-based power switches that are being listed here in the Classified Section and the purchase experience associated with it. Received mine a couple Fridays go, so here?s a brief review. I am starting a separate thread in a forum section that does not auto-delete after 30 days.

My intended use for the box is not an engine pre-heater. Rather, I have an engine dehumidifier with desiccant that lasts about 10 days before it gets saturated with moisture. After that it becomes a net humidity injector, so I need to turn it off somehow. And due to business travel, I sometimes am not even on the continent when that time comes.

Sure sounds like a mission for this device.

This, as it turns out, is not the way the switch is configured. Changing the operational mode was easy once I had the command, and PilotPortraits furnished the command?actually the opposite command?because they accidentally sent a few units out configured for ?turned on, with no timer?. So it was easy to confirm that the switch was in the mode that I want.

You can control the unit in two ways: via a phone call to toggle circuit 1 on and off, and via SMS to do the same to both circuits 1 and 2.

The phone calls are free, but do not provide positive feedback. By default circuit 1 will turn on for 18 hours and then it will turn off via a timer. You can re-program the timer in seconds for any time between 0 and 18 hours. Hook up an engine heater to switch 1, which is the pigtail on the left as you look at the switch. Then you can call the unit with an ordinary voice call, and the power will toggle, and disconnect you (so no answer, and thus no charge. The idea is that you can toggle it on, head out to the airport and a nice toasty engine, and then call it again from you mobile phone to toggle the power off. More on this in a moment.

SMS messages cost $0.10 each on the T-mobile card; however the provide positive feedback. For example, send the unit a text message in all caps that says #PWD123456#OUT=01, and you will turn on circuit 2. Once the command completes, it will text you back, saying OUT 01 OK.

Which brings us back to those phone calls. There is also a command that disables the phone call method. In my opinion, SMS is the only way to go; because I want confirmation that my command worked, and I do not want random phone calls controlling the device. And by the way, I was unable to make phone calls turn it back off. Not that I care?

When you turn the switch on, it will stay on for a period from 1 second to 18 hours. The switch is set to 18 hours when it ships; however changing it to another length of time is easy with a SMS command. I disabled the timer altogether.

You can also set up a ?white list? of phone numbers that the switch will pay attention to, and of course you can (and should) immediately change the default password.

A more complete manual is available for download at http://www.waferstar.com/downloads/GSM-AUTO-MANUAL(WAFER-V1.0).pdf. I suspect there is an even more complete manual someplace if you poke around.

I installed it in the hangar yesterday, and so far all is well. It responds to remote commands, including the one that reported that cell signal strength inside my closed metal hangar is about 50%.

About the Unit
The core unit appears to be manufactured by Shanghai Wafer Microelectronics (www.waferstar.com). To be honest, after looking at their site I would have preferred their power strip at http://www.waferstar.com/en/GSM-power-Strip.html. It appears that this company primarily manufactures vending machine components, and that these power controllers grew out of that other application.

The unit that I received was shipped in a bubble envelope and arrived in fine shape.

There are four pigtails that poke out of three connectors. One of the pigtails is a male 115V power cord, another is a mini 12V power supply for the logic board, and two are 115V outlets (Circuit 1 and 2). The 12V adapter feels funky, and a better arrangement would have been an integrated 12V power supply.

A prepaid SIM card is included, and you will periodically need to refill it.

By the way, you can see someone?s early project at http://www.gsm-auto.cn/remote_controlled_aircraft_engine_heater.html.

There is also a programming interface for both USB and DB=9 serial.

I have an email in to the manufacturer to enquire about cost of their power strip in small quantities. Suspect that they are not very expensive.

Communication (Pre-Delivery)
Rating: C

I ordered my unit on August 27th, knowing that there would be a bit of a wait. However I became a bit concerned when there was no communication ? and more importantly no product ? for three weeks. On Sept 14 I received an email soliciting my business for air-to-air photography, so I responded to ask about shipment status. No reply?

This was concerning. So Sunday, 9/16 I contacted Philip directly via email to ask about shipment status. He replied promptly that I would receive a FedEx shipment notification by Monday, and the unit would arrive by the end of week. Monday came and went without shipment notification; however at about 6 PM Friday Fedex drove up with the unit.

Communication (Post Delivery)
Rating: A
Phillip was extremely responsive on email. I encountered two issues:

Initially the unit would not answer phone calls, and for a time had issues with SMS messages. Majority of this was me: it takes a few minutes for the unit to establish itself on the phone network, and I tried to use it in less than one minute. Phillip was able to tell me what was up?on a weekend?via email.

Summary
It seems to work as advertised, and it seems to work better if you use SMS messages only. Is it a good value? You need to decide for yourself. Note that lower-power, single-circuit devices are for sale on EBay for $35 -- however they are only rated for 10 amps vis this unit's 30-amp rating.

One more point to add. The relays do not latch, so if there is a power interruption to the 12V logic power, then AC power to whatever you're controlling will turn off.

Today I needed to unplug the power to the logic board in order to use the outlet for a trouble light, which is when this characteristic surfaced.

For heaters, likely not an issue. For my use case (powering a dehumidifier), this is a bit annoying -- although not terrible.

fwiw, i bought a switch ''kit'' online for about $15. took 1/2 hr to solder the board and it works as advertised BUT...........
to power my preheater the switch powers a 20 amp relay that powers the elec. heat.
unit won't operate in the cold. i put it in a styrofoam cooler with a thermostat off a baseboard elec. heater which controls a 5 watt bulb! works good, 60 deg f. in the winter.
to prevent some kind of accidental start up i put a timer on the line that powers the board. this will shut it down at midnight if it is ever on at that time. a good reason not to have a latched relay.
aoooooooo a bit of fiddling to make it work for my needs mut it works perfect and don't we all enjoy that fiddling?
bob noffs

for me i would never start up an elec. heater with a motor. afraid of the fire possibility. my heaters are the stick on variety for auto oil pans. a 25 watt on the positech oil cooler and 2 -150 watters on the oilpan and block keep my jab 3300 going all winter in n. wi.

Back