What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cell phone interference

Article missed something

You have probably already experienced this. My cell phone won't work at any reasonable altitude above the towers. It just hunts and uses a lot of the battery. I always turn it off for a flight for that reason. It will not work at 35k ft+ inside an aluminum can.

There are lots of reasons to use a "smart" phone when not receiving phone signals, of course.

I-phones are notorious for interfering with radios and transponders. I can tell when someone is flying with their phone on because of the noise it makes on their radio.
A pal spent $2400 trying to fix what he thought was a faulty transponder, turned out to be his I-phone in his pocket...

DM

I thought that all the so-called RFI with the cell phones was a bunch of hoooey over nothing. Then one day at the gym I placed my iPhone on the cardiac rate monitor located between the handle bars of the exercising machine. It immediately screwed up all the functions of the device. I picked it up and it went away. Putting it about 12" from the unit caused all the functions to be scrambled. That was an eye opening experience. I'm a believer now!

I've seen a MP3 player spoof a portable GPS. The exciting part was that I was running along one side of a restricted area when the GPS started giving very odd readings. I separated the GPS and MP3 player (both were sitting in the passenger seat) and the GPS immediately settled down.

Back