What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Props

Terry Wendling

I'm New Here
on the -7A---anyone out there flying a FP Catto instead of the Sensenich? Just wondering what the advantages or dis-advantages might be. I have heard that the time to get a Catto can take a while (3mos?)

Prop section

Hey Terry,

Go to the Propellor category and search. Lots of comments on the Catto. No personal experience but everyone that has them loves them and the performance. The only apparent downside is the delivery time.

catto on order...

I have a sensenich now. It came with the plane and we think it is over propped. I have a 3 blade catto on order to arrive in October.

SENSENICH:
I don't like the RPM restriction (2600), I don't like the added weight, I do like how quick you can buy one, how easily it is to service one, how many are out there being used.

CATTO:
I like the 3 blade look, I like the light weight, I like how quiet they are, I like the performance (described by others), I don't like the lead time (mine was over 6 months).

I have a Catto 3 blade on my 9a---there is much in the archive on this subject. My experience is that it is smooth, quiet (slower prop tip speeds w/3 blades), light (17.5 lbs), performs well in both climb and cruise, and it is beautiful to boot. Downside is a significant delivery time (mine took 9 months/a friend has been waiting 8) but the wait was worth it!!!!

Cheers,

db

Cowl interference

We love our three-bladed Catto.....it bettered Van's numbers by almost 4 MPH at 7500 WOT, leaned. It is so smooth and quiet for bystanders and occupants. Removing the cowl is difficult even though we cut the nosegear slot as far forward as it can possibly be cut. Hard to do and not scratch the prop. Rocks and screws raise heck with the leading edges but that's about all the downside.

Regards,
Pierre

pierre smith said:
We love our three-bladed Catto.....it bettered Van's numbers by almost 4 MPH at 7500 WOT, leaned. It is so smooth and quiet for bystanders and occupants. Removing the cowl is difficult even though we cut the nosegear slot as far forward as it can possibly be cut. Hard to do and not scratch the prop. Rocks and screws raise heck with the leading edges but that's about all the downside.

Regards,
Pierre

I'll echo Pierre. I'm running a 3-blade 66x76 and am very happy with it's performance in climb/cruise, & the appearance.

How's W&B with the light prop (on a -7A... not 6's or 9's)...something to consider..

PS.. Sensenich for O-360 (72FM...) doesn't have the restriction.

Radomir said:
How's W&B with the light prop (on a -7A... not 6's or 9's)...something to consider..

PS.. Sensenich for O-360 (72FM...) doesn't have the restriction.

You're correct in that you are on the back side of an aft CG.
Full fuel and limiting your baggage to the 50-75 lb range negates any CG issues.

RPM restrictions?

Does anyone know if there are any RPM restrictions with the Catto and an O-360A1A with or without constant speed setup and with or without electronic ignition? Since it is not a certified prop, has any testing been done to determine if there should be any RPM restrictions.

Thanks,

Composite and wood props generally don't have RPM restrictions because the material doesn't set up resonant frequencies. My Catto is limited to 3400 RPM. Not a real concern for me.

Wood prop on RV-7A

I am running a wood Performance Propeller (made by Clark Lydek (sp?)) on my 7A. I love it... it is a two blade but he also makes three blade props.

The only issue is with cg. I need to be careful when carry weight in the baggage compartment that I don't exceed the aft cg with minimum fuel.

Installing a 12lb Landol damper helped the CG a lot...

Last edited:
DanLandry said:
You're correct in that you are on the back side of an aft CG.
Full fuel and limiting your baggage to the 50-75 lb range negates any CG issues.
I disagree. Limiting baggage is an issue for people who want to travel and bring luggage. Since most men want to travel with their wives and wives equals luggage... You get the idea.

There is a local -7A builder who started with a wood prop and had to switch it out for a Sensenich so his W&B worked out.

Bummer the -7A's tend to be so tail heavy with the lighter engine/prop combinations.

FWIW, I have a Catto two bladed prop on my -9 and LOVE it!

N941WR said:
I disagree. Limiting baggage is an issue for people who want to travel and bring luggage. Since most men want to travel with their wives and wives equals luggage... You get the idea.

FWIW, I bought my wife a travel bag and told her that is what is to be used for baggage. That's it! She would never want me to be unsafe...in flight.
Traveling to exotic places supercedes baggage.

Last edited:
Back