What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop on RV-10

RV404

I'm New Here
Has anyone used a Catto Prop on the RV-10?
How does the preformance compare to traditional C/S Prop?
From the 8/9 Community it seems that the Catto is very popular. If there is any diffrence in preformance, where is it, and how much diffrence?
I am a very long way from needed to make this choice, but never hurts to know early.

Bob

Joe Salomone (HelioJoe on this forum) has a three bladed Catto on his RV-10 and it is doing quite well.

Bob...all I can say is, "SPECTACULAR". Craig Catto came from California to test fly the -10. He is very impressed with the performance and has all the specs...Joe

Don't dangle a carrot, Joe..

Tell us what you give up in climb and also TAS at 7-8000' and whether or not it beats Van's numbers like we did with the Catto on our -6A.

Thanks,

Catto on RV-10

Tell us what you give up in climb and also TAS at 7-8000' and whether or not it beats Van's numbers like we did with the Catto on our -6A.

Thanks,

Pierre....this is what I know. Climb @ 110 KTS....1600 FPM, 7,500'....164 KTS.
Craig was a bit disappointed and said he had under propped me, as I was not developing the full potential of the engine. We decided to build a new prop with wider blades and adding an inch to each blade and nickel leading edges.

Dave Maib (he's the hangar across from me) and I went side by side twice, using the same RPM, MAP and Fuel Flows and we were always within a knot or two of each other. Dave is swinging an MT 3 blade constant speed.

I'm anxious to get the new larger prop and set up another duel with Dave.

Best Regards.....Joe.

...Dave Maib (he's the hangar across from me) and I went side by side twice, using the same RPM, MAP and Fuel Flows and we were always within a knot or two of each other. Dave is swinging an MT 3 blade constant speed...

I would hope you would be close in speed, but running a C/S prop like a fixed pitch is hardly the point, is it? Do a comparison for takeoff and initial climb with both aircraft set to their maximum capabilities and see where you are. Then in cruise, pull the prop back on the MT and watch the fuel flow plummet compared to the fixed pitch. The ability to have both a maximum performance takeoff AND low RPM cruise is the benefit of a C/S.

If the Catto can match the takeoff AND cruise fuel flow of the MT, then you have something.

I'll join the fray....

I'm anxious to get the new larger prop and set up another duel with Dave.

Best Regards.....Joe.

.....whenever you get the new prop.

I know for sure that the Hartzell blended airfoil prop gives me 176 knots at 7500' at 23"/2400.

During the Race to Ridgeland last spring, running WOT, she ran 211 MPH TAS on the Dynon!!

The Catto has its place for sure...I flew mine for 500 hours on the -6A and never regretted it. With the added gross weight and four people in the -10, I'll just have to see.

Best,

Back