What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto prop arrived!

Camillo

Well Known Member
I heard excellent things on Catto propellers. So I decided to go with Catto for my new IO-320D1A 160HP powered RV-4. After having experienced some delays on the communications via email with Mr. Catto, I decided to make a call and spoke with Nicole. I then sent her an email and from then all went OK. Craig Catto's first email was full of details which helped me to decide the right propeller. So I went with a 67 diameter X 70 pitch three blade with nickel edging protection.

The propeller itself weights Kg. 5,8. The propeller with the Saber extension and the Crush plate weights Kg. 8,770. That is nearly Kg. 18 less than the C/S Hartzell propeller I installed on my flying RV-9A. Craig Catto states his 160HP RV-6 with the same propeller safely takes-off and lands in a 1.000 feet long airstrip. So I believe I will need less than that lenght to take-off, since the -4 empty weight is 52 lbs less than the -6 empty weight (Van's to Van's prototypes).

I ordered the three blade propeller at the end of August. The estimated delivery time was three months. After two months the propeller was ready for shipping. In a few days the propeller and all the associated material (Saber extension, crush plate, bolts, spinner and spinner plates, nuts and screws) arrived to Italy.

Thanks to Craig and to Nicole for the business. I am sure the performance will be exactly those anticipated to me (194 mph @ 2.750 RPM; expected static RPM = 2.250).

Camillo

Back