What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto or Sensenich

514S

Trying to make the decision between a Catto or Sensenich propeller. Anyone care to share their thoughts/recommendations? Also, any recommendations on cruise or standard pitch for the propeller. Thanks in advance.

I went with Catto's prop because there was no RPM limitations, Craig can tweak it to whatever performance level you want, they look great, and the engine runs really smooth withe a Catto prop. I have the two blade model but would go with 3 blades if I had it to do over.

I went with the 3-blade for the smoothness and ground clearance. My takeoff roll was shortened by 17% and cruise was not affected when compared with my old Sensenich wood prop. Oh, yea, the SEXY looks didn't hurt either.

I also went with the Catto 3 blade on my RV9a and I am extremely happy with the decision. I considered the Hartzell CS (too heavy and too expensive) and the Sens (too much vibration and rpm restrictions) and liked the smooth/quiet performance of the Catto. Mine is 66d x 76p. Additionally if you need it fine tuned to your application Craig includes one adjustment in the price of the prop!! One additional note on the Catto--on a new plane wait untill you have the rigging dialed in and all fairings on the plane before considering any adjustments in the pitch!!!!

Cheers,

db
RV9a/ECI 0360/Catto/James Cowl--77 hrs and a really big permanent smile!!

I 2nd the statement above... if you decide to go with the Catto, don't make any decisions on it until ALL the fairings are on and the engine has a little time on it. Chances are it won't spin up to full rpm in flight until you get past a certain drag point. I've gained about 150+ rpm and about 34 mph since adding the gear leg fairings, wheel pants and upper intersection fairings. Still have the lower int fairings and nose gear int fairing to add!

Very smooth prop.

Yes

514S,
We have 155 hours on ours now and absolutely love the three-blade. Craig pitched it for max cruise so we give up a little on takeoff and climb but the numbers are still excellent. Takeoff is around 550-650 feet.

2250 RPM static and around 2400 climbing at 140 MPH and 1700 FPM. At 160 MPH we still climb at 1100 FPM (dual) and get 201/202 at 7500' WOT and 2700 RPM.....204 solo...not too shabbly for a 6A with all the fairings and 1060lbs. empty.
Regards,

Delivery time

514S,

I agree with all comments made, HOWEVER, please be prepared to wait for the prop. It took 11 months to get mine.

514S said:
Trying to make the decision between a Catto or Sensenich propeller. Anyone care to share their thoughts/recommendations? Also, any recommendations on cruise or standard pitch for the propeller. Thanks in advance.
Have been going through this same decision now (and for the past few months).

One thing that the Sensenich really has going for it is its ability to handle abuse. What happens when you get the inevitable nicks in the leading edge? Are you going to be running off of anything other than paved strips where you might pick up the occasional dirt or rock? How do the Cattos do in rain compared to the Sensenich? Can the props be serviced by your local shop? I've heard nothing but good things from people who have Cattos, but I think the areas above are where the Sensenich shines.

The disadvantage of the Sensenich (aside from the minor concerns--to me--of weight and smoothness) was the prop restriction. Originally I was worried about the rpm restriction, worrying that I'd occasionally forget to throttle back on descents to keep it below 2600. However, if you're concerned about the prop restrictions on the Sensenich, and if you have and engine monitor you can set it to give you a warning if you're near that number.

At Oskhosh this year Catto vs. Sensenich was the basic question I asked almost every builder with a fixed pitch. What would they get if they went fixed pitch again? Everyone who had a Sensenich said they'd do the same thing again. Everyone who had a Catto said they'd do the same thing again.

Theres a lot of information here already. If you do a search on this topic you'll come up with numerous posts to help muddy the waters for you.

Still deciding... since my finish kit comes next week I may need to hurry up unless I want to try to get Van's to take back some Sensenich-only parts later! :(

Good luck.

Last edited:
rv9builder said:
Scott,

Just curious...why would you go with 3 blades instead of 2?

Thanks,

As already mentioned in the above posts ... I've heard the comments on the smoothness of the 3 bladed props and I want as little vibration as I can manage. When I first bought my prop Craig wasn't too thrilled with the 3 blade models. He apparently likes them better now. Could be the price he likes better, not sure. :)

I didn't have the long wait that others have reported. However, I only live about an hour away from him and I picked mine up in person.

One thing about the 3-blade prop that concerns me if I go the Catto route... how exciting is it to try to hand-prop a 3-blader? Would scare the heck out of me!

rv9builder said:
How do you adjust a maple-core prop that's covered with fiberglass?

From what I understand, he sands off some fiberglass here, adds a little there. I asked the same question before I bought mine, but it makes sense--the fiberglass isn't just a thin film, but fairly thick. It would seem to me that that would be easier than twisting an aluminum one. I hope I never need to have mine repitched, but it is nice to know it can be done without too much expense.

Bob Kelly

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
One thing about the 3-blade prop that concerns me if I go the Catto route... how exciting is it to try to hand-prop a 3-blader? Would scare the heck out of me!

I hand propped my Aeronca champ hundreds of times. I hand propped my friend's old tired Cessa 175 once, and a Reno Formula 1 racer, once. I wouldn't hand prop my RV-4 with it's current 2 blade prop. Just not enough mass on a wood prop on an O320 for my comfort level.

To answer your question: hand propping a 3 bladed prop is WAY too exciting. I wouldn't hand prop a 3 bladed prop on anything, even if it were a Champ! There are few who would!

I had hand propped my -6 several times when it was 150hp. I hand propped it ONCE after increasing the compression to 9.5:1. At that time I said "no more." After installing the 3-blade, I CERTAINLY have ruled out hand propping. Way too much excitement for an old man.

Durability and serviceability of Catto props

This thread seems to have kind of died before I got some questions I've needed answers to for a while. I'm about ready to go pick up my finish kit and kind of need to decide which prop I'll be going with. While I like the Catto for all of its advantages, I'm concered most about going the Catto route for long-term durability purposes. For those who have gone the Catto route and have been flying with it for a while...

1. How have they held up in the general wear and tear department?
2. For those who have operated off grass and/or non-paved strips frequently, have you had issues with getting nicks or other damage that requires service?
3. If flying in rain, will simply pulling the prop back to 2200-2300 rpm eliminate all damage entirely or is rain something you still want to try to avoid if possible?
4. How many hours are people getting on their props before they need to be sent to Catto (or elsewhere) to be dressed up?

Any real life experience people can relate in the next 10 days would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
They hold up quite well to general wear and tear. I've only had mine for a year and a half and about 200 hours, and I regularly fly off grass strips with no problems. One advantage to the 3 blade is the smaller diameter and therefor greater ground clearance (6 inches less than a Sensenich) which reduces the chance for tip damage.

As for rain- Craig is now shipping props with leading edge protective tape. I have flown mine in rain for long periods of time, at 2300 RPM with no damage. That said, don't go barreling through rain at 2600 for long periods or you will severaly damage the prop (don't ask how I know.) Just reduce to 2300 and you'll be fine.

My time in service and experience is almost exactly the same as Jeff's. I've only flown it in light rain a couple of times and did not throttle back. No damage that I could see.

I've been flying my 3-blade Catto for almost 3 years (January of '04). I fly off of a gravel strip and the prop looks just like it did when I installed it.
The secrete of flying off of gravel is to not add full power while the airplane is sitting still. Get the airplane rolling before going full throttle. I even flew a Mooney off a gravel strip for over 2 years with no prop damage. It CAN be done. I've flown my Catto in light rain.

RV-4 w/180hp

I have the Sensenich metal prop on my RV-4. It was relatively smooth until I did a dynamic balance. Now it's better. I mostly fly from paved runways. Climbs at 2450-2500 rpm indicating 125-130kts. In level flight, solo, it will turn over redline at full throttle by about 150rpm. Therefore, to cruise under the redline, power must be pulled way back. Unfortunatley, there is only 1 choice in pitch from Sensenich with the RV-4/180hp combination. I prefer the looks of the 3 blade props, but I also like the low maintence aspect of a metal 2 blade. I'll be checking to see if a re-pitch is possible on my Sensenich. The Catto may afford more options as to custom pitch.

Tim

Back