What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto 3-Bladed Prop...NOT tiny performance-wise!

VF84Sluggo

Well Known Member
Disregard my initial comments below. I’m LOVING my Catto 3-blade prop now that I’ve got more flights behind it.
===============
My new-to-me RV-8 has a 180hp Lycoming O-360-A1A with a 3-bladed Catto prop. The first comment by every hangar neighbor that stops by is, man, what a sweet looking RV-8, and DAMN that prop is small. Looks cool...but ti-neee. Gotta agree. And, not only small diameter, but small blade chord, too. Frankly, it looks like it belongs on some Rotax-powered ultralight (ok, a 4-stroke version)

Wondering if I should ditch this prop and go with a two-bladed, longer diameter prop. Takeoff acceleration is, shall we say, liesurely at best.

Last edited:
what is the part number of the Cato? We have a guy on the field who shorten his propeller because he wanted more RPM. The 4-bladed prop look like a giant scale RC prop. Plus you should post a picture of the prop.

Of all the reviews I've read about Cattos 3 blade prop not once did I read that it was tiny. I have a brand new 3 blade sitting on my living room floor ready to be hung and the blade length is 33" from center of hub to blade tip.

I have the same engine you have and have read stellar reviews for this prop over the years. I agree you should post a picture of the prop you have.

The 8s use a slightly smaller prop 64" diameter where mine is 66".
Every picture I have seen of an RV with a Catto 3 blade, they looked amazing.

A

Last edited:
What TAS and RPM do you get at 8500 and 12500 WOT? What static RPM do you make? If you wanted more amazing acceleration on takeoff, a CS prop should have been higher on your list, but as you know, any fixed pitch prop is a compromise, however, I never heard any complaints about Catto props.

What TAS and RPM do you get at 8500 and 12500 WOT? What static RPM do you make? If you wanted more amazing acceleration on takeoff, a CS prop should have been higher on your list, but as you know, any fixed pitch prop is a compromise, however, I never heard any complaints about Catto props.
I love my Catto 3 blade. With my RV14A, Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt I can climb out (here in Seattle) at over 1000fpm, 2400 rpm...and it looks very good

Attachments

• RV14A 1-1-24 image.jpg
    RV14A 1-1-24 image.jpg
    1,009 KB · Views: 155
Catto was the best performer of all the fixed pitch props I've used.
If you want better takeoff and climb without sacrificing cruise you're going to want constant speed or an electric variable pitch props such as the MT.

OK...let me just say I stand corrected!

Finally had some dead-calm mornings to get some good performance numbers, and let me just say, there is not a dadgum THING wrong with this Catto 3-blade prop! 2400rpm, 1000'MSL, 70 deg OAT, and I'm seeing consistently 168-170 knots. Confirmed by internal GPS on cardinal headings, verified with ATC groundspeed readouts (actually, ATC was consistently 2 knots faster.)

So, fine, not as peppy on the initial WOT on takeoff roll (field elev 121') as my old -4 with the IO-360 constant-speed Whirlwind and SkyDynamics cold air induction, but once equivalent speeds were reached the climb rates were pretty much equal. At 25-squared, that -4 was not as fast as this -8. And the smoothness/low vibes of the 3-blade is nice. Looks cool, too.

Let the hangar-neighbor peanut gallery say the prop looks tiny. Nothing 'tiny' at ALL about the performance! Agree with Forane above: This Catto prop is the best performing fixed-pitch prop I've flown behind.

The 2400 rpm at speed sounds low to me. Should be around 2700+. Your static rpm is likely too low and hurting your initial takeoff performance. What is your static RPM? What is the pitch on your Catto? Did you mean to say 1000 FPM and not 1000 MSL?

I agree with FORANE.. you are getting 168-170 knots at 2400RPM? That seems fast for so low RPM. What if you leave it WOT? I think most RVs top out around 170knots.. maybe really efficient ones at 175 to 180 knots (TAS) but if you are only at 2400rpm, are you throttling back for that or are you WOT and only making 2400rpm?

Is it others brand hub or catto ? Possible this blades may be used in two blade config ?
Any know what plants it is approved on ?

No, 1000' MSL was the altitude where I was doing my "box" pattern (overcast at 2000'.) I was not WOT. 2400rpm. 168-170 knots. Next time I fly I'll go WOT and see what numbers get then. I'll also get as precise as I can with temps. I'll also try and get some good numbers at 7500'. Some weather was coming back in this morning, so I had to RTB sooner than I would have liked.

I'll also get a good static WOT rpm check. This rpm could be low, and explain what feels like less than expected takeoff acceleration.

Regardless, this is a nice prop. Happy with it....tiny or not ;)

No, 1000' MSL was the altitude where I was doing my "box" pattern (overcast at 2000'.) I was not WOT. 2400rpm. 168-170 knots. Next time I fly I'll go WOT and see what numbers get then. I'll also get as precise as I can with temps. I'll also try and get some good numbers at 7500'. Some weather was coming back in this morning, so I had to RTB sooner than I would have liked.

I'll also get a good static WOT rpm check. This rpm could be low, and explain what feels like less than expected takeoff acceleration.

Regardless, this is a nice prop. Happy with it....tiny or not ;)
A couple of data points to check are:
1)static RPM on takeoff? No need to hold the brakes, but you could. Just perform a normal takeoff and note what RPM you get before any airspeed starts to build (under 20 knots or so?)
2) 8500 and 12500 feet, leave it WOT and see what max indicated and true airspeeds you get, and at what RPM. This could take a few minutes so either be patient, or dive down from a few hundred feet higher, then allow it to stabilize. I would also lean at 8500 to match my takeoff EGTs, and at 12500, I would lean for max rpm. I believe the Catto is good for 3200 rpm, you could check the sticker on the prop under the spinner.

IO 360, forward induction. Not sure of the prop bolt size. I’ll check tomorrow when I go to the hangar.
I bet it’s got 1/2 inch bolts.. do you have a picture of the sticker? I saw one on the Internet that said rated RPM 2800+ but then under it, there was a line that said Max RPM 3200.

I bet it’s got 1/2 inch bolts.. do you have a picture of the sticker? I saw one on the Internet that said rated RPM 2800+ but then under it, there was a line that said Max RPM 3200.
Yep, you're correct. I just looked at the sticker. My sticker states: "Design RPM 2800" "Prop Red Line RPM Max 3200".
No + on the 2800 RPM

My new-to-me RV-8 has a 180hp Lycoming O-360-A1A with a 3-bladed Catto prop. The first comment by every hangar neighbor that stops by is, man, what a sweet looking RV-8, and DAMN that prop is small. Looks cool...but ti-neee. Gotta agree. And, not only small diameter, but small blade chord, too. Frankly, it looks like it belongs on some Rotax-powered ultralight (ok, a 4-stroke version)

Wondering if I should ditch this prop and go with a two-bladed, longer diameter prop. Takeoff acceleration is, shall we say, liesurely at best.
Sensenich alum. prop. 72fm8s9-1-85 for 180 hp Lycoming has bolts and spacer, sent to propeller shop for Inspection, refinish, and rebalance, has log book and copy of shop work order, no damage, In Sensenich box, 260 ht tt Good prop for 0-360 on rv4, 6 , 7, and 8 In prop shop sensenich box.has bolts and spacer $3400.00 or make a good offer. email me for pictures mike [email protected]. I have several rv's with the sensenich prop , best bang for the buck, any ques ok to call me Mike 602-421-8785, I was going to install this on a rv4 180ho wide deck , got old , sold project , can send pictures. Mike

Sensenich alum. prop. 72fm8s9-1-85 for 180 hp Lycoming has bolts and spacer, sent to propeller shop for Inspection, refinish, and rebalance, has log book and copy of shop work order, no damage, In Sensenich box, 260 ht tt Good prop for 0-360 on rv4, 6 , 7, and 8 In prop shop sensenich box.has bolts and spacer $3400.00 or make a good offer. email me for pictures mike [email protected]. I have several rv's with the sensenich prop , best bang for the buck, any ques ok to call me Mike 602-421-8785, I was going to install this on a rv4 180ho wide deck , got old , sold project , can send pictures. Mike
I appreciate the offer, but I must say, with more flights now on this Catto 3-blade, my initial post kicking off this thread was too hasty. I’m loving this prop. Heck, I even went back and edited the title of this thread.

While it might not accelerate on takeoff as briskly as I was used to with that constant-speed prop on my -4, it more than makes up for it in cruise performance. Smooth running and looks cool, too! I’m sticking with it.

Back