What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carting my wings home?

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I'm getting ready to order my wings, and being in the San Francisco area, I'm in striking distance of going up to Van's and picking up the kit (and, getting my "free" $50k demo ride!)

Any locals have experience with doing this? How much of a rig do I need? I think I can get the skins box in my mini-van, though the spars would have to be strapped to the outside. Or, it is best to let the pros do the work?

The boxes are pretty big, but if you do not have them crate it up, it will easily fit in a mini van. I think the sizes of the boxes are on the web site, but I can measure them tomorrow if you want. The spars and angle metal for the fuselage are pretty long, but if you have a rack on the roof, you should be able to tie them on. I think I would have them crate the long parts so they didn't bounce around as much and tie them on the rack and also ropes from the front and back bumpers.

Let me know if you need measurements. the weight will not be an issue.

At least for a -3B, the wing boxes will fit in a pickup truck - the flat one in the bed and the long one on top, assuming you have a topper and roof rack.

Just tie the long box firmly to the rack and also to the truck. It's got the spars.

Dave

Back