What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carling Contura switches - LED wiring

bomber_JB

I have 11 Carling Contura rocker switches. Model VAD1 with one LED light. I'm installing a dimmer switch from Stein Air (from Perihelion Design). I know how to wire the dimmer and I know how to get the LED "ON" when the switch is on "ON".

My question is do I wire the 11 LED lights in series (i.e., "daisy chain" or "Christmas Tree Lights") or do I wire them in Parallel

Thanks,

Jerry

Parallel. LEDs are diodes and have a forward voltage drop (exact amount depends on color, etc). If you put them in series the forward drops will exceed 14 volts and nothing will come on, no current will flow. Now, if you put one LED (only!) across 14 volts a huge current will flow, and the diode will fail. Often people say ?LED light? but what they have is an LED with built in current-limiting resistor. I assume that?s what you have.

Hi Bob,

I called Carling tech support. That VAD1 Contura switch has a LED with a current-limiting resistor so your assumption was correct. I'm going with parallel. He did confuse me by stating that he's seen marine applications where they have been daisy chained.

Back