What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb heat for O-540

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I'm going to be a little different and use a carbureted O-540 in my RV-10. It's mounted and baffled, but I am looking for ideas on how to provide carburetor heat. I contacted Vans but they said they didn't know of such an example for this engine and I should look at production aircraft for ideas.

Anyone else have a non-FI RV-10?

I am thinking that the following combination would work: a Vans or Wicks heat muff, 2" duct, flapper control, and attach it into the air scoop that holds the air filter.

Looking for better ideas or pictures... Surely other RV models are not all fuel-injected.

Doug.

O-540 carb heat ideas

I am doing the same thing and need this information, although I am not as far along in my build.

Check the Piper

Cherokee 235 and Cherokee Six 260 -- I have had both and they have the O-540 Carburated engine and I am pretty sure they came off the muffler shroud with a carb heat tube and a butterfly valve.

My -10 has two mufflers....

..with heat shrouds...one for the front seaters, one for the rear seats. I think you could use the one for the back seaters as carb heat because they really put out a lot of heat. Plumb it like a -7 or -9...with Van's FAB box and a carb heat flap.

Best,

FAB

Vans does seem to support carb heat for some of its series, but the page that Scott mentioned, below, doesn't make clear to me what I have versus what I would need. No description of what Airflow Performance System or Vertical Draft would do for me.

I have the default FAB (not yet assembled) with no door in its roof but need one that I could add a stand-off and 2" tube from a heat source. Anyone know how to get the flap door?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...1-500-318&browse=engines&product=fab-vertical

So, Pierre, would you suggest just using one heat muff/source for the cabin and one for carb heat, or split the rear seat supply?

Doug.

You might touch base with Dean Sombke - he has a carb'd 540 on his -10, and while I recall him dealing with carb heat, I don't remember the details of what he settled on. His userid on VAF is ddddsp.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

540 uses the same MA4-5 carb as the O-360 series, so all you would need to do is adapt the airbox from an RV4/6/8.

Yep..one for cabin heat, one for carb heat...

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...1-500-318&browse=engines&product=fab-vertical

........So, Pierre, would you suggest just using one heat muff/source for the cabin and one for carb heat, or split the rear seat supply?

Doug.

Hi Doug,

Your profile doesn't indicate which part of the country you live in, but I can assure you that even in our 30 degree days last winter, my -10 with only the front heat cracked about 1/3" was more than enough and we never used the rear seat heat at all.

If you were to split the one muff for rear heat and carb heat, you may be short on melting ice tho', even though Lycs seldom ice up.

I'd be more inclined to split the cabin heat muff's output front and rear., and leave the other muff's heat as a standalone for carb heat,

Best,

A solution

The FAB kit sent with my recently acquired FWF kit says it can be used for a number of engine and carb/FI configurations. For carburetor heat, there is a diagram and fairly rough instructions for a door at the opening of the box with a control. Directing air from one of the muffs to a standoff just above the flapper door connected by 2" tubing should provide ample force and temperature drop to be effective carb heat!

I only wish there were better specific instructions...

Doug.

Back