What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb Heat for O-540

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I realize the vast majority of builders have opted for the IO-540 but I got such a deal on an O-540 that I'll live with carburetion for a while.

The FWF kit does not seem to provide for carburetor heat, and I don't see any directions on what is needed or what others have done. It would appear that I'd need to use an exhaust heat muff and direct the air to a control box that is activated by a carb-heat control cable. I don't know how/where the resulting air would be attached or directed to the carburetor air intake.

Any -10 builders with experience in a similar situation?

Doug.

Hi Doug.....

...Looking at my -10 lower cowl, I'd say that it'd be pretty easy to use the carb heat system that the 0-360 had in my previous -6A. It took heat from the exhaust cross-tube in the front of the engine and directs it downward to a plate on top of the FAB and a door that is controlled by a cable from the cockpit. Since we have mufflers on the -10, there'll be better heat as well.

If you could take a look at someones carbed 360, you'd see it easily. Hopefully, someone will post a pic....I don't have one,

Best,

Back