What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Capacitive Fuel Sender

BGS

Well Known Member
I have chosen not to use the float system included with the RV10 kit and instead am working on a capacitive system.

What i have done is purchased the RV9 Capacitive Kit from Vans and so I have all the necessary parts. The only catch is to fabricate the sender plates to fit the ribs of the RV10.

Couple of questions:
1 - Can anyone tell me the thickness of aluminum of the sender plates that come with the RV9 kit.
2 - Does the thickness matter. Thinking of using .032"
2 - What is the type of aluminum or does it not matter. Thinking of using 2024 T3

Thanks for any help.

Brian

I also wanted capacitance senders instead of the floats in my -10. Thought about fabricating my own with the same questions you have, then settled on the Princeton probes that can be calibrated to better handle the dihedral of the wing for better accuracy. After everything is said and done,,,they are not much more $$ than the Vans kit,,,especially if you are using a Dynon.......you will not need the converter adapters as they push out the proper voltage required by Dynon. I fabricated a cover plate for the inboard tank rib to fit the Princeton. EZ install. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2010Individual/Cat10432.pdf

answers below, in red.

I have chosen not to use the float system included with the RV10 kit and instead am working on a capacitive system.

What i have done is purchased the RV9 Capacitive Kit from Vans and so I have all the necessary parts. The only catch is to fabricate the sender plates to fit the ribs of the RV10.

Couple of questions:
1 - Can anyone tell me the thickness of aluminum of the sender plates that come with the RV9 kit. IIRC, the RV-7 plates are .020
2 - Does the thickness matter. Thinking of using .032". Thickness doesn't matter to their function at all. The distance from the rib does, however.
2 - What is the type of aluminum or does it not matter. Thinking of using 2024 T3 Mine were 2024-T3 alclad. The type of aluminum doesn't really matter to the function though.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Capacitive Sender Plate

Thanks Much for the info. I was thinking and hoping that the thickness did not make much of a difference. With this I did fabricate one of the plates utilizing .020 2024-T3 Alclad aluminum

FYI a photo is attached.

www.briansrv10.com/wings-pictures/capacitive-fuel-system/

Last edited:
Back