What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

capacitance D180 fuel calibration

alwaysoutdoor

If anybody has any experience calibrating capacitive fuel gauges to a dynon d180 please PM me so we can talk over the phone. I am VERY close to finishing my RV-7. I have the voltage to capacitance converters and know they are wired correctly because when I squeeze the yellow wire I can get the calibration number to change (what dynon told me to do) but it does not change at all when I add fuel. I have filled and drained the tanks twice and cant figure it out...my head is steaming... I have tested continuity between ground and the bnc connection on the tank and it shows zero so I know I didn't accidentally ground out the plates/wires. I am a very meticulous builder and know I built the capacitive tanks as to the plans exactly. What kind of tests can I do to see what is going wrong? I have ran out of guesses. I do not want to remodel the tanks with floats if I can help it. Please somebody hold my hand and walk me through this!

I have the dynon adaptors on my 7A (but feeding a GRT EIS).

I measured the capacitance of the plates with a hand held gage I inherited from my dad. It ranges from 180 picofarad to 360 picofarad from empty to full. This is done exactly like you checked for continuity on the BNC but with a capacitance meter. Try to find one.

Alternately, you may be able to reach the outermost plate in the tank with a continuity probe to make sure your BNC center conductor has continuity to the tank plates.

Back