What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cap. type fuel gauges leaking fuel

RVFan

I'm New Here
I have an RV7 with capacitance type fuel gauges and have found one BNC connector leaking fuel. It looks like it is coming through the center gold connector ? What to do, What to do ?? Is the BNC connector leak proof ?
Why use a BNC as a stop gap for fuel.............??
Anyone else ? It is just a slow drip.:confused::confused:

Cap Type Fuel Gauges Leaking Fuel

I had the same problem. Solved it using Loctite 290 - while it is a threadlocker,
it is designed to be applied after the fastener is torqued & wicks into the joint.
This wicking property allows the 290 to fill the hole in the BNC terminal pin. I can't recall whether it took more than one application, but after it sealed I've had no leaks for 100+ hours.

About $12-15 for small bottle so its a relatively cheap easy fix compared to anything else.

I think it was recommended in another thread here or maybe by Van's.

John Moody
RV-8A

I have had this happen a few times. The fuel is leaking down the pin because the wire solder joint is not perfect. The fix is to open the inspection plate, reach inside and goop up the back side of the bnc connector where the wire is going in. You want a heavy blob to cover the BNC and encase the wire...should look like a big hershey kiss with a wire coming out the top. The locktite trick may work as well...never tried it.
Cheers.

Evan

I have had this happen a few times. The fuel is leaking down the pin because the wire solder joint is not perfect. The fix is to open the inspection plate, reach inside and goop up the back side of the bnc connector where the wire is going in. You want a heavy blob to cover the BNC and encase the wire...should look like a big hershey kiss with a wire coming out the top. The locktite trick may work as well...never tried it.
Cheers.

Evan

Even with a perfect solder joint, the BNC connector is not designed to seal against fuel; the fuel will seep between the center pin and the insulator. Here's what my "Hershey's Kiss" looked like before I assembled the tank"
DSCN3544.JPG

Back