What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cap senders ( accuracy in flight?)

I have read all the pros and cons of float vs cap senders ( threads here and on other sites ). But can anyone tell me how accurate they are in flight? I know the old adage about fuel measurement in an aircraft is only really correct on the ground but I though the whole reason for using cap senders was that in relatively level flight they are extremely accurate relative to float senders.

I'm the guy who keeps getting distracted and forgets to switch tanks on long flights and wonders.... is there 8 gal or 2 in my left tank.

Fuel totalizers and fuel flow meters tell me that I have 10 gallons on board but where the heck is it? Plane tipping to one side not withstanding ;o)

- Jim
RV9A ( Panel wrap up )
N929JA ( reserved )

Totalizer tip

Here's a little tip on how I determine where the fuel is. When I fill up I set the totalizer to 35 gallons (3 gallon pad). I start out on the left tank. At 30 gallons, I switch to the right. At 25 gallons, I switch to the left and so on...
If at some time I think.."Did I remember to switch tanks?", I just look at the totalizer. If it is between 20 and 25, I should be on the left tank. If between 25 and 30, I should be on the right tank.
Just my way. There can be other ways. Whatever works for you.
Another minor observance here is that the right tank will always be the fullest tank (assuming no leaks).
Mel...DAR

Last edited:
RVPilotDotCom said:
Fuel totalizers and fuel flow meters tell me that I have 10 gallons on board but where the heck is it? Plane tipping to one side not withstanding ;o)

I'm putting optical level sensors at the 3-gallon level on each tank with an annunciator (idiot lights and aural) on the panel.

Back