What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can't use an SJ cowl...bummer

cjensen

Well Known Member
I talked to Will James today about using his long cowl with my setup...that being the long engine mount designed for the 320 engine for the RV-7. Turns out, my plan to use the SJ cowl won't work, and it doesn't matter if I use a 320, 340, or a 360. His cowls just won't work with the long mount...they aren't long enough.

So, I'm waiting for an email from Gus about using the Van's long cowl with an O-360, the 360 FAB (don't know if this FAB will fit), and then modifying the intake scoop to fit an adapter that James has to change the "D" shaped intake scoop to his circle ring intake.

The bad thing is...I now have to pay retail for a Van's long cowl, and get it shipped separately.:( ...and it's gonna be pink.

Anybody else had this problem?

Thats a shame

The james cowl looks hot!

No chance you can change your mount for a short one and use a 360 is there?
Frank

7a IO360 james cowl

Chad !!!!!

I have the long mount, the extended hub, an O-320, and the sam james long cowl. It works beautifully.

They may not be willing to guarantee that it fits...maybe they haven't kept track of what planes these are installed on....but mine is exactly the mount you are using.

It Will Work.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=38

Here are pictures of the cowl on an RV-7 with the O-320 Mount and an O-320....happily it is a dead sexy black and red paint job ;)

Not sure what you mean about the "long mount" but if you are using a standard cowl from Van's then the Will James cowl *should* work, I think.

As mentioned before, the Will James "short cowl" is dimensionally consistent with the "standard" Van's cowl.

Did you mean something different from what I am mentioning?

James

Not sure what you mean about the "long mount" but if you are using a standard cowl from Van's then the Will James cowl *should* work, I think.

As mentioned before, the Will James "short cowl" is dimensionally consistent with the "standard" Van's cowl.

Did you mean something different from what I am mentioning?

James

Yeah, the long mount is a 2" longer engine mount than the standard 360 mount. It compensates for the "lighter" 320 engine for cg. I can't use the standard cowl with this mount because it's too short. The 360 will fit with no problem...except the FAB...just got an email from Gus, and he said it won't fit without modding the cowl (Van's).

Chad !!!!!

I have the long mount, the extended hub, an O-320, and the sam james long cowl. It works beautifully.

They may not be willing to guarantee that it fits...maybe they haven't kept track of what planes these are installed on....but mine is exactly the mount you are using.

It Will Work.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=38

Here are pictures of the cowl on an RV-7 with the O-320 Mount and an O-320....happily it is a dead sexy black and red paint job ;)

John!!!!!

I know...I'm not sure why Will told me all this because of what you told me.

Which extension do you have?

The pictures are proof...guess I can plan on using one then!!:cool::cool:

The james cowl looks hot!

No chance you can change your mount for a short one and use a 360 is there?
Frank

7a IO360 james cowl

Negative. Van's made it very clear that this mount is non-refundable/non-returnable...

Sounds like it will work with the 320 anyway now...that was the plan anyhow...

I used the WW 151 with integral extended hub. Meaures 3.125 from flange to the back of the spinner.

I had ok clearance for the starter and alternator, but I did put two little bumps in the lower cowl for crlearance...probably unnecessary. Au un-nosed starter would have no problems, like the B&C or Skytech inline starter.

Everything will fit... just a little closer than with the 4" prop hub distance.

weathervane?

Chad,

Let's see, to recap....

You'd have to change your mind and switch mounts, to switch engines, to switch back to the really cool SJ cowl?

Or you could do what has been done and keep all the changes you just made?

Doesn't that require you to change your mind about not changing your mind?

I'm getting dizzy....(Geez where are all the cool emoticons when you need one).

Seriously, you are in the home stretch and should be landing at Jack's this summer maybe so keep plugging now that the riveting is done and just enjoy.

Hope to see you guys soon, it's been way too long!

Say hi to Brit for me.

Chad,

Let's see, to recap....

You'd have to change your mind and switch mounts, to switch engines, to switch back to the really cool SJ cowl?

Or you could do what has been done and keep all the changes you just made?

Doesn't that require you to change your mind about not changing your mind?

I'm getting dizzy....(Geez where are all the cool emoticons when you need one).

Seriously, you are in the home stretch and should be landing at Jack's this summer maybe so keep plugging now that the riveting is done and just enjoy.

Hope to see you guys soon, it's been way too long!

Say hi to Brit for me.

HA! I got dizzie reading that! Still not sure I follow it (and I'm LIVING it!), but I've been up for a long time today...

I'm trying to stay on some sense of a line at this point, and I think I have this SJ cowl thing figured out...I may just go FI and forget about the FAB problem!

You gotta get goin' on that 7A...or get one bought!!!

Hoping to see you guys soon too!:)

Brit says "hi"...say hi to Cath for me...

Back