What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can't find Part Number

dahugo

Guys,

I purchased, didn't build, an RV-10. Need some new cowl hing pins and cannot find the part number online. Need the pins which mate the top cowl to the firewall. Anybody have the part number handy so I can order a few?

HUGO

qVVI8lXzC5ioIM6gMNVYpqQJ7OmQzYBNpHrKIIvYieEPuBxfurUFSw4ZVTWcZ-JMzhDvMitBiA=w1440-h900-rw-no

Is this what you are looking for? You'll probably have to order it as SSP-090 and a certain length since this is a fabricated part.

If you are looking just to replace the pins then those are simply made from 3/32" stainless rod. McMaster-Carr has this stock for a under $2.00 per 2 ft. It's easily cut and bent to what you need.

If you are looking just to replace the pins then those are simply made from 3/32" stainless rod. McMaster-Carr has this stock for a under $2.00 per 2 ft. It's easily cut and bent to what you need.

The hinges Van's sells use pins with 3 different diameters. As previously mentioned by Andrew, SPP-90 is the pin Van's recommends for the "Hinge Piano 1/8" used in that area:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1475691373-6-390&browse=hardware&product=hinge

Per the Vans page - The HINGE PIANO typically uses the SSP-120 pin. This hinge also uses the undersize SSP-090 pin for the radius around the top of the firewall/cowling interface.

Does that mean I should replace the top curved ones with SSP-090s? Using the stock part I'm assuming it has the SSP-120s in it, but not against ordering and putting some SSP-090s in if there's a reason.

Per the Vans page - The HINGE PIANO typically uses the SSP-120 pin. This hinge also uses the undersize SSP-090 pin for the radius around the top of the firewall/cowling interface.

Does that mean I should replace the top curved ones with SSP-090s? Using the stock part I'm assuming it has the SSP-120s in it, but not against ordering and putting some SSP-090s in if there's a reason.

Dunno. IMO I wouldn't replace anything if it works. Over the years I don't recall folks posting about replacing the stock 120's with 90s, but then again I used CAMLOCs so I haven't been paying much attention to cowl hinge issues.

Both Hugo and Andrew referred to the top cowl hinge pins and the picture that Andrew posted was for the top pins. Vans says to use SSP-090 for this. The 090 part is the diameter or 3/32". The smaller diameter rod will bend better in the tighter radius of the top hinges.

Back