What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can't find Aileron Stop A-914

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I have finally finished inventoring everything and begun actually doing something. As suggested, I started on the aioleron hinge brackets. Things looked like they were going to go OK but then..... I couldn't find the aileron stop #A-914. I couldn't even find it on the inventory.

Does anyone remember this part? :confused:

Center of drawing #13. A-914 "Make from AA6-125x1x1". It is fabricated from angle stock.

fabricate

You have to fabricate 2 of these parts. I don't have the drawings in front of me, but the stops are easy to make using the dimensions on the plan. You use the angle stock that is provided. Look through the plans and it will be very clear. The manual will reference the correct drawing. take care. Jack

Thanks

I thought I had looked but missed the fabrication drawing. Thanks a million. I am sorry to have bothered you all. I know I will have many more questions and I hope I will not wear you guys out.
Cleve
d

No problem

Cleve: Don't ever feel like you have to apologize and it certainly was no bother. Most of us who are flying keep up with the forum to keep learning. We also lurk around hoping to be able to answer a question now and then. I remember going over drawings for hours and not seeing an obvious note. It happens to all of us. If needed, keep the questions coming. Jack

Agreed. It is fun to have already been there and to pass along knowledge however small it may be.

Speaking of these little parts... when's a good time to rivet them. It seems like getting it at the right angle is pretty difficult (something like 37.2 degrees relative to some other angle or something ridiculous like that :eek: ), so I've been putting it off for a long time.

I'm getting ready to rivet mine right now, just after I've removed the wings after the 'first fitting'. I've had all of the control surfaces on, and made sure the aileron travel for both sides is appropriate (or close to what is called out in the instructions, which it is) with the stops in place. That's my 2-cent's worth.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Speaking of these little parts... when's a good time to rivet them. It seems like getting it at the right angle is pretty difficult (something like 37.2 degrees relative to some other angle or something ridiculous like that :eek: ), so I've been putting it off for a long time.

You can correct any slight alignment error by filing the face of the stop until the aileron hinge hits it along its length, and also to get the exact aileron deflection.

I just put on the stops last week. You have to take off the flaps and aileron to do it. I put in one rivet lightly than put on the aileron and adjusted the position (rotation) of the stop to get the desired aileron deflection. I than drilled the final hole and completed riveting. I found that the first hole (specified by Vans) was a little to close to the stop end. I moved it to 3/8 instead of the 1/2 specificed. While you are there check the clearence between the aileron push rod and rear spar hole on the wing. I found that when I thighten the push rod to aileron bracket there was a slight interference at full deflection causing a squeak. :)

Guys - I don't know if the -9's ailerons are configured the same as on an -8, but if they are, check out Mickey Coggin's solution for aileron stops - incredibly simple, and much easier to install than the Van's design. I've got 175 hours on mine - no wear at all!

Paul

If I remember correctly, I riveted the aileron stop in 2 phases. First time, using one rivet during the aileron construction process. It was the one closest to the "stop" end. Don't set completely so it can pivot to correctly align to the aileron bracket. Matchdrill the hole and set the second rivet when you fit the ailerons to the wing. Finish setting the first rivet at this time.
Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, Paul, I've been running the idea you and Mickey used through my mind as a possible alternative. If I remember correctly, I had some questions about the procedure, so I may have to bug you guys about clarifying some of it. It did look like a very elegant means to the same end.

Back