What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy unlatched flight

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
Today I flew for the first time in almost 7 weeks. The weather was perfect. Wind 250 at 3. I strapped in and got a bit distracted during start up. I did not latch the canopy. I taxied out and went through the preflight checklist. It was so nice to have good weather that I got complacent. I did not check that the canopy was latched since this is is always the first thing I do when I get in. I was given an immediate take off clearance and away I went.At 200 I noticed that there was a lot of cold air blowing through the cockpit. At 300 feet I realized I had forgotten to latch the canopy. Other than the breeze there did not seem to be a problem. I elected not to mess with the latch while low and slow since the did not seem to be an immediate problem. I notified Napa tower that I wanted to land asap. I had departed runway 240 And was given runway 18. I land without incident and cleared the active. As I taxied back I discovered that the canopy had partially latched. I don't know when or how this occurred. My handle is a bit loose, and this was on the list of things to correct this winter. I don't know at what point the handle rotated on it's own. It was barely engaged when I checked. I can't confirm if it was engaged on take off or not. All I can say is there was no issue as I took off or landed. I felt like a complete fool for not following the check lists. It would appear that there is no major safety issue if the canopy isn't latched.

Mark

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's a good reminder especially this time of year when we don't fly that often.
Well done for flying the aircraft and not being distracted?

Peter

Well Done Mark for flying the plane!

I totally concur with kiwipete's comments.

Check lists can get overlooked especially when your put under pressure say for an immediate departure. I know, it's happend to me. An old instructor of mine used to shout at me for using check lists at inappropriate times, such as just before entering the runway. He said to me "Use the plane as your check list". What he meant was at times such as above scan the critical indicators in a logical fashion (left to right top to bottom).

I took this on board and so far it has proven a good system for me as I have caught several overlooked checklist items. Critical indicators for me include oil and fuel pressure DI/compass, Altimeter, fuel pump, harness and hatches. Oil pressure and airspeed rising are checked as the take off run is underway but before lift off.

However, do what works for you.

me too!

I can totally relate....with that strange feeling of " how did THAT happen"
I have a -9a slider, and noticed nothing in flight, but upon landing, looked up, and noticed the canopy latched, but not in the locked position.
Did it just 'unlock'? ....or has it been like that since runup?
Not a nice feeling, but as you say, not evidently catastrophic.
Makes one think about how to verify the latch function, or adjustments needed when doing your annual?

Good cockpit management on your part.

You can take solace in the fact that you're not the first one who has forgotten to latch the canopy! :)

Mark:

Please indicate the RV model you were flying and whether it's a slider or tip up. Those factors could have a bearing on your experience and that of others.

Chris

I was in an RV-12 tip up canopy. The canopy showed no inclination to lift up. I can't confirm if it was due to the design of the 12, or if it was because the handle had rotated on it's on and engaged the plate. It was maybe 1/16 on the latch plate. I quess my 12 is smarter than me since it had the sense to latch itself. LOL

canopy latch

I took off with the canopy of my slider unlatched. It was broght to my attention as soon as I rotated. It got very noisy as the canopy moved to the rear about 1/2 of an inch. I couldn't latch it in flight but I didn't try too hard, just circled back around lite and latched it. Not a big deal.

Welcome to the club

I had the same thing happen on about the 6th or 7th flight-- sometime after takeoff I noticed that there was more cold air than usual coming under the canopy bottom (hadn't installed any weatherstripping yet) and then noticed that the canopy was partially latched-- maybe up about 1/2 inch at the back. I COULD NOT pull the canopy down into the latched position and wasn't about to try to completely unlatch it to ty to bring it down into position. I slowed to about 70 knots and proceded to the nearest field (closer than my home field by that time) and landed without incident. I don't know that the canopy would have lifted higher if it was completely unlatched or not, but I do know that I couldn't pull it down that last half-inch.
Obviously I had partially latched the canopy but apparently had not rotated the handle completely-- as hard as it is to open I don'e see how it could unlatch by itself. It gets a THOROUGH check before takeoff now.

RV-12 tip-up. BTW, if the Grumman Yakee's sliding canopy is opened in flight, air pressure will move it forward unless it's locked back. I'd guess that the pressure would rotated the -12 canopy up until separation occurs at the back of the canopy. Whether or not this would cause the canopy to flutter I don't want to find out.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Did that twice (slow learner) in Billy Water's RV6A about 8 yrs ago. Distraction, and a not too well noted check list was the culprit. (also my stupidity). No problem occurred other than the pop top lifted about 6" and stayed there. I did not attempt to close it during flight. Did not seem to affect flight characteristics in any way, but I landed promptly regardless, and locked it down. Glad to hear it would be no worse in my 12, but I don't plan to try it. Pretty hard to forget if following the Pilot's Manual as I believe it is one of last items .
Dick Seiders

I did the same thing with my RV-9 tip-up during Phase 1 to see what would happen. (That's my story and I'm sticking with it!)

Once at altitude, I slowed the plane down, put in some flaps and was able to pull the canopy closed and latch it, retract the flaps, and go about the rest of the test card.

The canopy simply floated open about two or three inches with no impact on handling, at least as far as I could tell.

If any of you elect to do this test, make sure there is nothing loose in your cockpit as it could get sucked out.

RV-6A Slider Canopy unlatched

On my RV-6A slider, a partially open canopy can be closed in flight by slowing the aircraft down and then sliding the canopy forward, and latching it shut. Fairly high pitch angle required.

If something like this (or any other emergency) happens to you, remember the golden rule: Always Fly The Airplane.

Pilot Error

I have about 1500 hours total time and about 80 hours in my RV-3, vintage 1992, acquired in March 2010. I love the bird. Has the tip over canopy and lever actuated dual shaft canopy latch. I was climbing through 4000 feet at about 120mph out of Ocean City, MD, thinking ahead about my nav plan to Murtle Beach when I had one of those "hand is quicker than the brain" instincts that the canopy was not fully latched.... I still don't know what prompted that instinct but it was wrong. The canopy was fully latched. In the next heartbeat, however, with no conscious consideration and still thinking about the nav plan, I reached up and pushed the lever all the way forward, fully unlatching the canopy. In the next heartbeat two things happened, (1) the canopy flew wide open, popped the cable restraint, the bubble shattered and the frame was racked out of square about an inch and a half, my headsets were swept off my head and held at the back of my neck by the chin strap (mike still more or less in my face), and (2) I instinctively grabbed the canopy frame and pulled it back down as far as I could and held it there with my left hand while just beginning to appreciate what I had done and the shattered plastic waving in my face. It was a long 7 minutes or so before I got the plane back on the ground at Ocean City. My thanks to Danny Knight and several others that were there for the airshow and helped me formulate a recovery plan.
The lesson I took from this was that while "canopy latched" is part of my checklist, I had not really ingrained in my mental processing to the point of automation, that latched is "back", and unlatched is "forward", and one NEVER moves the lever forward in flight, only back if at all. I have it now!
Thinking about a bolt-action sort of mechanism applied to the forward shaft in rebuilding the canopy so that latching motion is forward and down, and unlatching would require an up and then back motion. I think the compound motion resembling the familiarity of a bolt action rifle mechanism would be less likely to be defeated by a "hand quicker than the brain" moment. Any comments from other tip-over canopy owners?

RV-8a

On my third flight I failed to latch the canopy latch and did not see it until I was near TOC. Still climbing I grabbed the latch, but as the canopy was still closed I decided to make a test and attempted to pull the canopy back and one hand would not budge it. I latched it and continued with the test flight. I suppose that means the canopy on a RV-8a tends to seal itself and hold itself in closed position while flying, Bill Phillips, N288WP, RV-8a 5 hrs phase l

Has the tip over canopy and lever actuated dual shaft canopy latch.

Wow! What a story! What is a "tip over canopy". I am trying to relate this to a RV-12 canopy and I can't figure out how this could have been so violent if the canopy is hinged in the front like the '12. Is there that much low pressure air over the top of the canopy? Please 'splain!

at about 120mph ...my headsets were swept off my head and held at the back of my neck by the chin strap (mike still more or less in my face), ....shattered plastic waving in my face.?

Vern,
Were you wearing glasses? If so, did they come off? I can't imagine trying to see with naked eyeballs at 120mph!

Since my last incident of partially latched canopy, I have installed a warning light that will show if any of two side latches are not fully engaged and locked.

tip over and glasses

For the guy that asked about tip over: The RV-3's are frequently configured with full bubble canopies hinged on the right side and latched on the left side. They swing up and over to the right providing optimal access to the cockpit. But there is then no wind screen at all, of course.

Re the glasses; yes I was wearing glasses, and no, they were not disturbed. Go figure!

Thinking about it more, I always close and latch the canopy with my right hand (gathering the retaining cable with my left hand over my left shoulder.). When the flight is terminated, I ALWAYS UNLATCH THE CANOPY WITH MY LEFT HAND. (Think muscle memory.) Also, when I sit in the plane and rehearse emergency egress, its left hand chin strap, right hand headset, LEFT HAND UNLATCH THE CANOPY, and right hand for the seat belt. (Again, think muscle memory.) I only ever used my left hand for unlatching the canopy, and my right hand for closing it.

There is no way to make a plane idiot proof, but I think all pilots ought to give some thought to the muscle motion patterns in their routine cockpit behavior that might kick in when they are distracted and just reacting to an unexpected stimulus. I'll be doing some alternative drills when I get my plane back.

Thanks for telling us the story on your -3 Vern - it is quite an eye-opener. If you're still fixin' it, most of us now are building the latch system so that forward on the handle is locked - it is a simple matter of re-arranging the pushrods. Well worth the effort!

Paul

A few weeks ago my fiancee and I were on a trip from Los Angeles, CA to Austin, TX. This was my fiancee's longest trip yet in the RV-7A (tip-up). So far she has made a dozen flights and she has enjoyed all of them (Las Vegas, Napa, El Mirage, Big Bear, etc). She was looking forward to this longer series of flights with stops in AZ and NM along the way.

We were on the last leg of the outbound trip, 2pm, and had been flying for 3 hours with Flight Following and were 80 NM west of KAUS level at 13.5k in clear skies, on oxygen, with George doing the flying. At altitude it was cool and smooth with a 35-40 kt tailwind, a perfect day for flying. Down low it was almost 100 degrees and very very bumpy.

Just prior to starting our decent I asked her to make sure her seat belt was on and secured. She had taken it off for a little while to stretch and relax. Never, ever, fly without your seat belt buckled, remember this. Once she had that accomplished I moved pillows and stuff from the cabin to the baggage area to clean up the cockpit. I contacted Flight Following and noted that we were beginning our descent. I entered a 400 ft/min autopilot managed descent, leaving the power as it was for the whole flight so far, full power - LOP. As we passed through 12k ft I turned to place something else into the baggage area.

As I turned facing forward the airplane instantly pitched nose over with negative g's and what seemed like explosive decompression as the cabin filled with everything that wasn't tied down and we were floating in our seat belts. Extreme noise and wind engulfed us. I muttered something like "what the ****" a couple of times as I reached for the stick, staring at the earth filling the windscreen in partial shock. My hand and brain finally started working and while numbly praying that the tail was still attached began to pull back on the stick at the same time I decreased power and shut power to the AP. The plane responded thankfully. Initially my brain thought that the canopy had come off and perhaps hit the tail but I finally came to understand with what was going on. Looking up, the canopy was completely open but was still attached and bucking wildly about 2 feet above the roll bar. The wind noise was unbelievable and maps, pillows and stuff was whirling around and getting sucked out. I leveled the plane and slowed to 85 kts which seemed like eternity. At that speed I was able to grab the canopy and asked my fiancee if she could hold it in place as it was impossible to pull it shut enough to latch the roll bar latch. I asked her to hold it since I didn't want it to continue to oscillate up and down potentially smacking the rollbar.

After I had the plane under control I radioed "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday 447RV has an open canopy". First Mayday for me, it came out without even thinking. The call went unheard by Flight Following because of the wind noise on the mic but another pilot in the area heard it faintly and I could hear him ask FF if they heard it. I repeated the call and with a hand covering the mic was able to communicate. I'm happy I was wearing my QT Halo in-the-ear headset. Standard headsets may have gotten ripped off our heads. We received vectors to Fredericksburg (T82) and they were extremely helpful. Unfortunately the turbulence was almost moderate and the winds at T82 were 30 kts gusting to 40, almost a direct crosswind. It was an ugly landing with my fiancee holding onto the canopy the entire time, but we were on the ground. We headed for the terminal to check our shorts. Inside I called the FAA to let them know we were OK and asked them if they needed any paperwork filled. They said nothing to fill out, glad you are OK, have a nice day!

To give you an example of how violent the pitch over was, both my fiancee's lower legs and ankles were bruised and swollen from smacking the underside of the panel and cockpit sides. If she hadn't had her seat belt on it may have been an uglier story as she weighs about 100 and I hate to think of the other possible outcomes. My legs were cut on the front and back and on both arms from I have no idea what. My iPad took several minutes to locate and it had moved from between the seats to forward of the rudder pedals, and it was dented. Her phone which was in the passenger side cloth pocket near the gear leg weldment was eventually located on the pilots side of the cabin, forward of the panel, resting vertically on the L-channel above the leftmost rudder cable. Most of the maps are gone. Pillows gone too.

So what happened? As with any incident it's a series or combination of errors/mistakes/omissions that lead to these kind of situations. Two things have to happen so this can happen again. The safety latch must be open and the canopy latch must be open. The safety latch has no positive detent or latch to keep it in the closed position. It's easily moved with a pillow getting tossed into the back. If this is closed, the problem of an open canopy latch in flight is fairly trivial. So how did the canopy latch open? I do not know for sure Yet, but one of two ways is most suspect. I may have opened it with my left arm/shirt sleeve when swiveling/turning to place items to the back. I tested this scenario and it's entirely possible. My canopy latch mechanism and spring are in good shape but it is possible that this can occur. Second possible cause is that I added a 1/32 foam spacer on top of the roll bar where the canopy shuts and it may have altered the geometry of the latching mechanism. I've had the foam spacer in place for 75 hours of flight time with no incident but perhaps that in combination with a high airspeed descent may have had some effect. The only change from the prior three hours of flight was a slightly nose down attitude and higher airspeed.

The plane is down for it's annual now. I'm not sure I'll ever figure out exactly what happened but I did remove the foam tape and I will put some mechanism in place to keep the safety latch from turning accidentally.

So does my fiancee still fly with me? Well after I inspected the plane on the ground at T82 (and removed the foam tape) she got back in and we continued our trip to Austin, the extreme crosswind takeoff and turbulence boring in comparison to the last flight. A few days later she got back in and we flew back to Los Angeles, CA through some of the nastiest summer turbulence she had ever been in and she didn't even complain about that. We had a great time in Austin but the "incident" as it's now known is not easily forgotten. She still says it was the scariest most frightening thing that's ever happened to her. Uh, me too :eek:. For a few seconds there, wow. Remember, just fly the plane, and keep your seat belt on too! :D

Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing all that with us. Back in my KR2 days, we lost a couple of KR2's from canopy opening in flight. Seemed like the angle of the turtledeck was such that it would not fly with the canopy off. Took a while to figure that all out, the clue was that in each case the canopy was found quite a distance from the crash site.

Another thought

A while back I saw a vid of an RV flying without a canopy and it seemed to fly OK. Here is an acronym I use when cleared for takeoff:
STP
S=Safety (seatbelts on, canopy closed and latched)
T=Transponder set
P=Electric fuel PUMP

Woodman

George Orndorff's help with canopy repair.

For the record, George Orndorff, at NC-25, referred by Danny Knight and others, did a great job helping me get my RV-3 back in the air with a new canopy constructed on the original frame after my June10 misadventure.

The canopy on mine popped open during the 1st flight. Slowed to 60 knots and pulled it down and latched it.

Back