What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy to upper forward skin clearance...

idleup

Well Known Member
I was trying to taper and gap the canopy frame skin so it doesnt bind on the upper forward fuse skin and I made the gap too big. At it's widest it is 0.15" which is just over an 1/8th an inch and it is supposed to be .32. Has anyone one else done this? I think it looks really bad and am pretty upset. Also, how do I prevent water leakage into the cabin area from rain where the hinges are?

- Matt

Matt,
Do you have the gas struts installed? The gas struts will push the canopy forward and reduce the gap somewhat when the canopy is in the closed position.

Fin 9A

If the gas struts don't help, hopefully you haven't riveted it on yet. I left mine clecoed until I had a good fitup. My first try also left too big a gap, so I replaced it.

Roberta

I will try putting the gas struts on today. I have not riveted the upper forward fuse skin, but I dont think that is what you were talking about. The canopy bubble is already permantly attached so I cannot replace the canopy skin now.

I dont see how the struts could move the canopy closer since the pins and holes are already drilled in the hinges, it doesnt seem there would be any "play" to move it forward. but I will try it out. Thanks.

- Matt

You'll find that there is a little bit of play in the canopy when the struts are installed. I don't know how much force they put out, but it is sizable.

I thought my gap was OK, then I installed the struts. When I lifted the canopy, it caught and put a nice littke kink in the leading edge of the canopy skin, and I'm not the first. This seems to be fairly common. Don't underestimate that gap.

So when there is a gap, how do you prevent moisture from seeping down where the hinges are? you cant seal it right?

- Matt

Back