What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy to rollbar question (tipup)...

idleup

Well Known Member
This may be hard to explain but is there any rubber channeling or gasket that is glued underneith the plexi where it overhangs and rests on the rollbar when the canopy is closed?

I want to know so that I make sure when putting the rear window in that I compensate for that height differential so in the closed position the front and rear plexi's are even.

- Matt

no sir

the rear canopy bolts directly to the roll bar. i havent seen any gaskets. i guess you could put mold release on the canopy and sealer on the roll bar and form a seal. hmmm now you got me thinking. in either case you wouldnt raise the rear. ymmv

Last edited:
I know the rear window is bolted directly to the roll bar, but does the bubble just lay directly on the metal on the roll bar? I need someone with a completed plane to tell me since I cant go look...

- Matt

Well mines not completed either but I am exactly at the point of bolting the window on. There will not be a gasket nor have I ever seen a gasket of any kind on any of the many completed RV tip ups I've seen.

I used rubber tape

I used Scotch 130C tape directly on the bars - both - and snugged the canopy down onto it. It came out a little sloppy, but it cushions the plexi from direct contact with the metal.

My RV6 canopy halves make direct contact with the roll bar per the plans. I ran a bead of RTV around the rear canopy to rear skin joint before I set the rivets.
Jim Sharkey

It doesn't need a gasket, but I installed a "P" seal under mine. The flat part is clamped in place by the rear window and the canopy rests on the bulb part. I only ran the seal down to the point where the canopy and roll bar are more vertical. Otherwise the canopy just scraped it off when closing. This seal is more for the canopy than for the rear window.

Roberta

Back