What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Skirt

DRead

How much overlap do builders keep on the aft end of the skirts. I've got quite a bit, goes around the aft end by 3 or 4 inches on both ends.

skirt overlap

I'm a first time builder, so take this with a grain of salt. I could not get the back part to lie down flat so I cut off the skirt about where that curve is that goes up to the tail. I then laid up an entirely new rear. Fits quite tightly. I think most people cut them flush and then lay up a junction between the two haves. There is lots here on the subject. Search the -8- forum.

Good luck

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

You cut the overlap off. Cut the ends so that they make one even seem down the back. You can then use a piece of scrap aluminum, bent to a matching curve, to temporarily hold the two ends together as you glass the seem. Nice, neat, and one piece.

Yup, just like Wade said - make it effectively a "butt joint", then you can glass them together, and there is no bump. I found the skirts a lot easier than I was expecting from all the horror stories - just another "Boogeyman"....

Back