What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Skirt Rivets

jump4way

Well Known Member
One more question...

I am about to rivet my canopy skirt to the frame. I have countersunk the holes slightly deeper to give a bit of room to fill and hide the rivet heads. I'm concerned about the rivets working over time and cracking the filler above it making them unsightly. Does anyone have any recommendations for a way to avoid the rivets from getting worked? Will a flox/epoxy mix hold them in place?

You are correct - but if you just fill with micro they will screw up the paint after a few years.

Set the rivets, then put a skim coat of micro over the heads. Sand flush. Then put two bids of fiberglass over all that, with peel-ply. After this sets do another skim coat of micro, sand and prime.

Carl

BID layer

After the micro layer and sanding flush, would you put two layers of BID that cover all of the rivets holes on a side as one piece or as a small layup over each individual rivet? It's probably easiest to get a good finish if each side just had a large layup to cover them all I would think but wanted to check.

Back