What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy skin trimming

koda2

Well Known Member
Greetings everyone,
I have finally got to the canopy stage on my 6A tipup. I cannot find any directions or postings for details on how to trim the canopy skin where it meets the side rail so that the canopy will transition. Any one have any pointers?
trimwhere.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Dave A.
RV-6AQB

First off, I don't much about the Six kits, thus I'm not fully certain what you mean by transition. Just in case you don't have part(s) ...or the Six kit is way different than the 7 and 9 kits ... there are .035 side skins that get riveted to the long frame side pieces. They butt joint against the rear side edges of the canopy skin shown in your picture. Hence to real transition is necessary. If I misunderstood, or have stated the obvious, I apologize.

Terry,
Thanks for the reply. You're right the 7s are different. The 7 canopy skin is straight across with a slit cut in it where the skin transitions from under the canopy to out in front of the canopy so it can butt the side skirt skin.

My kit was a secondary purchase, some parts were damaged and/or missing.
Some I have fabricated since the 6 plans are actual "drawings" and also I adapted some 7 parts. I have yet to make the canopy side skins.

I have not ordered a replacement canopy yet so I don't know quite how it is to fit in the area shown in the picture. Sam Buchanan's web site shows the canopy skin joggled or "creased" to allow clearance.

I was just wondering what others had done or what the standard technique is. I may just have to get creative once I get the canopy. :)
Dave A.

But if you transition....

".... hence NO real transition is necessary."

...two methods exist, IIRC

1 - put a little joggle in the end of the blue covered part so it matches the joggle in the horizontal side rails. The plexi will just lay over the aluminum when it is installed.

2 - cut a slot in the blue part 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide somewhere around where the "crease" is visible in your picture. The aft part of the alum will be on the outside, and the plexi will pass thru the slot.

I did version 1, but make sure you leave lots of space at the bottom edge of the plexi here - it will get covered up by trim. Trim away more than you may think and have no pressure on the edges when the plexi sides are pulled into the side rails.
Lots of -6 builders had that first screw hole visible in your pic turn into a crack - the recommended fix was to place your EAA sticker over the crack...:)

UPDATE

Check out the notes from Will Cretsinger that were on my old web site...

http://web.archive.org/web/20061106180931/http://home.flash.net/~gila/wing_docs/canopy_notes2.htm

Last edited:
canopy skin trimming

Gil,
Thanks for the tips. Cretsinger does mention the joggle and I may have enough relief to do that.
The "first hole" doesn't show well in the picture but its just a mark. I had read somewhere about that "gotcha".<g>
Dave A.

Back