What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy side skins

I am fitting and getting ready to counter sink, or dimple the side skins on the canopy. My question is since the side skin is .032, which way should I go here?, dimple or countersink. I have already countersunk the side skin to the canopy tubing. I am not sure about in way of the connection to the plexiglass.
Any thoughts?

I'm about to that point... my feeling is that you must countersink the side skins and c-759 inside skirt in assembly. The countersink will definately cut into the second layer.

Dimpling the side skins would require the canopy frame side tubes to be machine countersunk... 'hard' to do.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the same thing after sleeping on it. Its helpful to have the input from folks that have been there before. I am finding the canopy to really be more challenging, and certainly more time consuming that I would have thought.
Happy New Year all.
Mark

OK

I found the webpage which I remembered.

Go here
http://www.my9a.com/finish14.asp

and then down at the end of "8/2/05 - Back in action" entry.

Or look below for a quick-answer.

"Finally, I machine countersunk the second row of holes to accept the MSP-42 flush pop rivets. Don't dimple these, or you'll have to countersink the canopy frame itself, which would be lots more trouble."

And, Mike (Schipper), I will not stop thanking you for having built that site. Everything you did, I did too in terms of problems, issues, frustration. It is important to find a website of who works like you. It is a very big help during construction.

What about the top row for the screws

Countersink the skirt into the canopy? or Dimple the skirt and countersink the canopy for the dimple?

Back