What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy side skin trimming

jimgreen

Well Known Member
I have trimmed the canopy side skins to match the top of the side rails,buut I find they sit about 3/16" above the forward top edge of the aft top skin(F774)
I don't understand how this can happen.
143f3gl.jpg

I guess it's just a cosmetic issue but I'm racking my brains to figure out how it happened.
I can trim it a little lower but not enough to make it level with the aft top skin.
Any ideas?

With my original skin, I noticed the same problem. I also had a big issue with how far forward the skin was at the center, so I took it to Van's to have a look. The new one fixed both issues, but Van's made me pay for the new one because mine was an older revision. How old is yours?

re canopy side skin

With my original skin, I noticed the same problem. I also had a big issue with how far forward the skin was at the center, so I took it to Van's to have a look. The new one fixed both issues, but Van's made me pay for the new one because mine was an older revision. How old is yours?
Thanks for the reply James.
I bought the fuse kit from another builder so I am not quite sure, but I believe it dates to about 2002. I assume you are talking about the aft top skin. I would have a problem if I bought a new aft top skin as I have already shaped and drilled the rear window.
I have anothr problem with the top skin where it presses down hard on the rear window. I think that might be what you are referring to when you talk about the top centre being far forward.
At this point I'm not sure how best to remedy the problem. I'll call Van's in the morning. Sometimes I wish I lived in Portland.

That is about the right time frame. Both issues are fixed with the latest version, and you are right that the already drilled window will be too short with the newer skin. I know builders from the same time frame that didn't have these issues, which makes it frustrating. My personal belief is our skins came from a bad batch, but there is no easy way to prove it.

I doubt you want to redo the rear window, but occasionally someone messes up the front only and ends up with a spare rear section.

I have a rear canopy that has not been trimmed and would probably work. I had a 3 inch crack at the center front during trimming and at least 1 inch would have been visable if I installed it. I opted to purchase a new one. Have the original stored. No scratches, new except for the crack. If you are interested contact me.

That is about the right time frame. Both issues are fixed with the latest version, and you are right that the already drilled window will be too short with the newer skin. I know builders from the same time frame that didn't have these issues, which makes it frustrating. My personal belief is our skins came from a bad batch, but there is no easy way to prove it.

I doubt you want to redo the rear window, but occasionally someone messes up the front only and ends up with a spare rear section.

I got a somewhat evasive response from Van's,with the comment that it's only cosmetic and I'd probably be making a targa strip anyway. I didn't push it any further.

I have a rear canopy that has not been trimmed and would probably work. I had a 3 inch crack at the center front during trimming and at least 1 inch would have been visable if I installed it. I opted to purchase a new one. Have the original stored. No scratches, new except for the crack. If you are interested contact me.
Thanks for the offer Phil, I'll bear it in mind. Since I've got a lot of time invested already I think I'm just going to finish the canopy and see how good I can make it first. Then if I'm not pleased with it I can redo. I've got a couple of ideas that might make it look fine. As for the top centre where the skin presses down on the acrylic, I think that will work OK, though it's not ideal.

I just blended that in with a slight jog at the back of the skirt to meet the rear skin. Looked fine and never looked out of place. I used no targa strip.

Roberta

re canopy side skin

I just blended that in with a slight jog at the back of the skirt to meet the rear skin. Looked fine and never looked out of place. I used no targa strip.

Roberta
Thanks Roberta, I think that is plan A. Did you have any trouble with the rear glass being squeezed hard at top centre by the aft skin?

Back