What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Seals

jersey

Well Known Member
I have yet to install canopy seals and would appreciate advice, photos etc. on how some of ya'll have done this.

In addition I notice that the canopy seems to lift up from the fuselage when in flight, especially on the passenger side. Has anyone else noticed this.

Jersey
N413EH with about 60 Hours

Jersey,

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you what I did, with good results. I went to the local Aircraft Components and Equipment store, otherwise known as ACE Hardware, and bought a variety of foam weather stripping products. Various widths and thicknesses. Then returned to the hangar and installed the weatherstripping anywhere there was a gap between the canopy and the airframe. I left the stripping I didn't use at all unopened in the bags and ACE was kind enough to let me return it.

In addition to the gaps around the canopy, I found that a lot of air was coming in through the wing spar openings in the side skins. I pulled the wings partially out and applied weatherstripping around the openings, just tight enough to stop the air. Worked like a charm.

With the above measures to keep the cold air out, and my baffle plates to partially cover the oil cooler and radiator so as to raise the temperature of the coolant and direct all the warm air into the cockpit rather than dumping it overboard, I can make the cockpit as warm as I want, even in the coldest of Adirondack winter days.

A tip - clean the areas where you want the weatherstripping to stick thoroughly with alcohol to promote good adhesion.

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited:
Early Seals - -

RV-12CanopySeals100_1169-1.jpg

This was my first sealing. The ones on the sides have worked very well. I think they were 3/8" thick foam type weather strips. You can see the rivet impressions on the one. I have changed the others to things that work better. You need fairly thick ones on the side of the dash. 1/2" I think. Most recently, I have put a double wide 1/8" thick white rubber seal across the top of the dash. Does not migrate, and seals well, but you have to keep the canopy closed and partially latched all the time to compress them, or they will make closing the canopy difficult. Just a habit you need to do. In Iowa in the winter, you get the seals to work, or freeze ! :D

John Bender

Foam Seals...

I did like John & John did. Brought home several types from ACE and experimented. I could not get the black hard foam applied on the rails to compress enough easily to close the canopy so used the softer gray kind shown in the picture. The black stuff worked well on the sides of the panel where a LOT of air came in.
i-RXdQpmr-M.jpg

I have not applied a seal across the top of the panel, there is a small amount of air coming in there but temps are mostly mild in WA and I don't mind this small amount of ventilation.

Tony

Last edited:
Back