What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy seal ???

mcems

Well Known Member
What are you guys planning on using for a seal between the fiberglass portion of the canopy and the top of the fuselage . It looks like Vans has put some kind of foam type seal on the factory 12. It seems you would need a seal there to keep out air / water . It would have to be some pretty thin durable stuff.

Anybody have recommendations on this . I sure it would be needed for any tip up canopy.

Brad Stiefvater

Brad,

My plan is to run a thin piece of foam along the inside up from the foward edge of the fiberglass so that it meets the alum top when it is shut. I don't care if air and water get under the front edge, only that it doesn't get into my cabin.

Pete

That is because you live in Texas. :) In Iowa, we don't like snow coming in very much thank you !

Are there no provisions from Van's for a seal(s). I thought that would be coming in one of these kits.

John Bender

John

John,

I spent many childhood years in Cedar Rapids and Wyoming. Snow is the reason I moved to Texas! I have noticed in one of the recent photos (the guy that took the ride and had the "HI-DEF" photos?) had a piece of something attached all the way across the inside of the canopy....between the bar and the edge.

By the way, working with epoxy/resin when its 104 everyday can be about as annoying as snow.

Seal

I just sealed the tip over canopy on my -4 with clear silicone.
Put wax paper on the fuse, small bead of silicone on the canopy. Close it up and leave overnight.
Next day, rub talcum powder on the fresh silicone. That way it doesn't grab the paint.
Worked great on the -4, might work on a -12?

Thanks Mark - Pete

Mark - good idea. Should work well.

Pete. Resin is not fun at ANY temperature as far as I am concerned.

John Bender

I just sealed the tip over canopy on my -4 with clear silicone.
Put wax paper on the fuse, small bead of silicone on the canopy. Close it up and leave overnight.
Next day, rub talcum powder on the fresh silicone. That way it doesn't grab the paint.
Worked great on the -4, might work on a -12?

Sounds good! John...you go first...let me know.

Sounds like a great idea...

The silicone seal sounds just fine...and it a 'peel off' if it doesn't meet the need in time. I am amazed at the ingenuity of builders like Mark. We will, of course, have to wait until after the 'sign-off's'...we don't want to antagonize the inspector...right?

Jay

Back