What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Scratch Removal Part 2

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I scratched my canopy. Surprise!

I started removing the scratches using P1500, P3000 wet or dry by hand at first. Then Novus to finish it. This works fine, but there's an even better/faster way.

Today, I tried using P3000 wet Trizact on my 3M DA polisher, then P5000 wet Trizact over the P3000 Trizact. This works even better.

Take a look. It's hard to capture in photos, but if you look through the canopy to the workbench on the other side you can get an idea of the differences.

Canopy Plexi Scratch Removal.jpg

Canopy Scratch Removal 2.jpg

The only thing to be careful with when using the DA is to not go fast and use lots of water. Otherwise you can heat op the plexiglas and burn it. This makes for damage that could be difficult to repair.

Last edited:
I scratched my canopy. Surprise!

I started removing the scratches using P1500, P3000 wet or dry by hand at first. Then Novus to finish it. This works fine, but there's an even better/faster way. Today, I tried using P3000 wet Trizact on my 3M DA polisher, then P5000 wet Trizact over the P3000 Trizact. This works even better.

Questions: how deep were the scratches? Could you take pictures of the same areas after using the Novis? I assume you start with #3, then #2.

Mcgeures gold 85 and 10

During my build I managed to put a 6" scratch in my canopy just above the side skirt. I flew with it for three years before trying to remove it. It was low enough that it did not interfere with looking outside the canopy.

I tried Mcgeures Mirror Glaze 85, Diamond Cut Compound 2.0 followed by McGeures Clear Plastic Polish 10. I used a very soft cloth and slowly worked the area over and over. It polish the scratch out of the canopy. There is a very slight distortion but you can only see it from one angle.

That was two years ago. No crazing, haze or other damage has appeared in that area.

Scott

Back