What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Roller Tracks

MauleOwner

Hi Group, I'm starting to work on the canopy (7-silder) and wondered if there was a target width for the installation of the roller tracks? Do they remain parallel front to back? If this is in the plans set, I can't seem to find it.

I think the critical dimension here is given in Detail A on drawing 42... it wants a 7/32" gap between the outboard edge of the canopy track and the edge of the canopy deck. If this dimension is too big or too small you'd be more likely to have difficulties fitting the canopy skirts later. I've got some canopy construction notes and step-by-step posts on my build blog that are hopefully helpful.

Tracks

Yes, as Matt mentions, check the plans and take lots of measurements. I don't recall the exact dimension. However, they do need to be parallel fore/aft as much as possible or the canopy rollers will bind.

I found it important to have the instrument panel temporarily installed to help fix the front fuselage width. I also got a piece of 1/2 x 1/2 square aluminum tube from the hardware store and trimmed it to the desired inside-between-the-tracks dimension to use as a jig to assist in checking for parallel.

Also, look up the nutplates on a narrow strip of aluminum "trick" in lieu of trying to get your fingers, nuts, washers under the canopy rail for all the track screws.

Back