What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Rivet Goof

N184DA

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Greetings listers,,

Anyone else ever do this,,

After finally finishing up with the fitting of the canopy skirts (RV9A Slider), I began the task of sizing up the holes for the appropriate fasteners,, solid rivets, blind rivets, or screws.

Well, in my enthusiasm, I began re-drilling the side skirt - to canopy frame holes and sizing them with a #30 drill, in anticipation for the countersunk blind rivets,,,
Not realizing that the plans call for the MK319BS rivets in this location, which of course call for a 7/64" hole.

So, now I am stuck with oversize holes and my thinking here is,, just use the CS4-4 rivets instead. Obviously, they do not "finish" and paint quite as well as the MK319BS,, but the alternative is to use an oversize hole for the MK319,, which is not something I am too keen on doing.

But then again, we are not talking about a wing skin here, and there are quite a number of them,,,

Any thoughts?

If you have enough you could use the rivets that are called out for the canopy to frame attachment as they use a #30 hole and have the center pin seal that shears clean and looks good. Could also use cherry rivets but they are expensive.
The #30 hole will also need a slightly deeper countersink which may impact your choices as the side skin is not very thick. The inside attachment for the brace uses LP4-3 rivets so the CS choice should be fine from a structural standpoint.

So, now I am stuck with oversize holes and my thinking here is,, just use the CS4-4 rivets instead. Obviously, they do not "finish" and paint quite as well as the MK319BS,, but the alternative is to use an oversize hole for the MK319,, which is not something I am too keen on doing.
Any thoughts?

Derrick... you might want to check with Vans first to get a substitute rivet...

The MK319BS rivets are monel with a steel pin.... the CS4-4 are a much softer aluminum, and have 120 degree heads IIRC....

I'm sure there is a substitute 1/8 rivet, but you probably should have a fairly strong one... let Vans pick...:)

gil A

Derrick... you might want to check with Vans first to get a substitute rivet...

The MK319BS rivets are monel with a steel pin.... the CS4-4 are a much softer aluminum, and have 120 degree heads IIRC....

I'm sure there is a substitute 1/8 rivet, but you probably should have a fairly strong one... let Vans pick...:)

gil A

If you have enough you could use the rivets that are called out for the canopy to frame attachment as they use a #30 hole and have the center pin seal that shears clean and looks good. Could also use cherry rivets but they are expensive.
The #30 hole will also need a slightly deeper countersink which may impact your choices as the side skin is not very thick. The inside attachment for the brace uses LP4-3 rivets so the CS choice should be fine from a structural standpoint.

Thanks for the input,,

Spoke with Van's today and they recommend the CS4-4,,, which is where my thinking was leading me.
I can't use the rivets that attach the canopy to the frame, as suggested by Dave above, as those rivets(ACQ4-4 I believe), use a soft aluminum mandrel.

I tested out the countersinking issue with some scrap and due to the shallower head angle, (120 vs 100), I can just get away with the countersink in the C660 side skirt,,, using a 120 degree c/s bit of course.

Thanks for the input guys!

Back