What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Repainting

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I painted my canopy parts before I assembled it. The idea was that painting it after the plexiglass was installed would create a lot of masking issues. I also kind of liked the idea of the rivets showing a contrasting color to the color of the frame.

Problem is....when doing it this way the riveting causes enough vibration and various other violence that the paint can't hold on and chips away in places. This is unacceptable from an aesthetic point of view. At least for me. And yes, I wash primed and urethane primed prior to paint. However, I did use PPG auto paint. Maybe that was the problem. I dunno.

So, I bead blasted all the loose paint off and will now reprime and repaint with Aero SW. So much for best laid plans!

If you decide to paint after assembling the canopy. Buy 1000 shares of 3M. This process takes a lot of taping. Ugh!

Canopy Repaint Rear View.jpg

Canopy Repaint Cowl View.jpg

Canopy Repaint Closeup of Chipping.jpg

If you decide to paint after assembling the canopy. Buy 1000 shares of 3M. This process takes a lot of taping. Ugh!

Thats good advice no matter what your canopy process. I've used a truckload of that stuff throughout. Fun fact; a brick of that tape still in the shrink wrap is almost the perfect radius to use as a sanding block at the fwd windscreen fairing base.

Attachments

• IMG_8988.jpg
    IMG_8988.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 79
The primer/paint should be able to withstand riveting and subsequent wear and tear. I've used PPG automotive primers (both Epotec epoxy primer and Etch Pro etch primer) coated with 2K polyurethane top coat and riveted without any problems. It's really important to clean and scuff thoroughly before priming. An easy test for good adhesion is to apply some heavy duty duct tape to the painted surface and rip it off.

Powder Coat?

All good advice but I'd like to throw powder coating prior to assembly into the list of solutions.

Durable and riveting won't disturb. And no mess painting.

Back