What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy removal question - help

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
I've just completed the fiberglass work covering the front of the canopy and side areas which pivot when you open the canopy. My question is.....how do you unstick the fiberglass from the upper-forward fuselage? I used duct tape and mylar tape with wax on all surfaces that I didn't want the fiberglass to adhere to. The instructions on page 34-16 are pretty weak. They merely say to remove the pivot bolts......they make no mention of the "gas struts" which are still attached. Maybe I should have removed the gas struts prior, but the instructions didn't mention this. By loosening the pivot bolts at this point, I feel the gas struts will push the unopen canopy forward and then it would be jammed. Help help help...:eek:

What I did was:

Grab a friend to grab the other side. Remove both pivot bolts, and lift the canopy (with help from the pistons) straight up. It won't catch on anything, and the spare fiberglass won't catch anywhere.

I've just completed the fiberglass work covering the front of the canopy and side areas which pivot when you open the canopy. My question is.....how do you unstick the fiberglass from the upper-forward fuselage? I used duct tape and mylar tape with wax on all surfaces that I didn't want the fiberglass to adhere to. The instructions on page 34-16 are pretty weak. They merely say to remove the pivot bolts......they make no mention of the "gas struts" which are still attached. Maybe I should have removed the gas struts prior, but the instructions didn't mention this. By loosening the pivot bolts at this point, I feel the gas struts will push the unopen canopy forward and then it would be jammed. Help help help...:eek:

Hi Steve,

What you are experiencing is a kind of vacuum that is created by the very close contact between the new fiberglass and the very slick tape.

If you (with all the canopy bolts in place) lift a little (2 to 3 inches) at the back of the canopy you should be able to see the seal start to unzip as it works its way free. If you followed the directions closely you will not be able to raise the canopy more than about six inches before it starts to jam in the front on the sides so when the fiberglass seal has released just let the canopy back down. Now you can remove all four bolts and lift the canopy off the aircraft and do the rough trim on the fiberglass.

Good luck.

Best regards,
Vern

Try a putty knife.

I used a putty knife and gently slid it under the fiber glass. I moved along the edge all the way around to break the seal Vern is talking about. Just a different technique you might try. It worked for me.

I used a fish fillet knife (very flexable) and slid it between the fiberglass and the tape like John said. Start at one side and try inserting the blade 2-4" along the entire lenghth, then come back and insert the blade deeper on the second pass. Then lift the canopy off. It will "pop" as it releases.

Last edited:
Ditto on the putty knife. Make it a narrow one - say 1". Insert at various points and take it slowly.

Many thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll let the work set-up a couple more days and then give it a try. :eek:

I used a Wilton cake frosting knife/spatula. Very thin and very flexible. Get it at WalMart. See my blog!

Great info

Thanks Marty, I found the section in your blog and it is very helpful. I will use your info in the week ahead. Steve :D

Update

I just wanted to update my canopy removal question..... I used a cake frosting knife/spatula (1" wide) to break the seal between the fiberglass and mylar tape and with the help of a friend lifted the canopy to its up position. Thanks again to all who provided suggestions. :)

Back