What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Pushed Back After Installing Clips and Fairing

avatty

Well Known Member
While making the canopy fairing I found the previous, 3/32-inch gap between the canopy and rear window was reduced by half. My guess is the canopy was pushed back when I installed the canopy clips, as the pulled rivets are installed at a 45-degree angle. My concern is with possible stress on the screw holes in the canopy at the side rails. The holes are slightly oversize, I think, to allow for thermal expansion and now the forward edges of the holes may be jammed tight against the screws. My thought is to remove the screws then re-ream the holes on a hot day, which may leave them slightly oval (this might be a good thing). Has anyone experienced this, and what did you do?

Yes, but my concern is with possible stress on the screw holes in the canopy at the side rails because of the canopy being pushed back.

My build is a 6A but the process is the same.

At what stage is your canopy installation, i.e. are the clips riveted in already, but nothing else is permanently fixed?

I would probably try to fix the cause by removing the clips and make new ones, or grind and carefully rebate the fwd edge of the plexi to seat the clips a bit better, as per the Van's video for the canopy construction.

I don't know that elongated screw holes is a great idea because that may cause issues when countersinking and deburring.

Back